Shenandoah FP-I

BrantSFGDS
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Shenandoah
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous, Anthracite

Post by BrantSFGDS » Wed. Nov. 27, 2013 9:25 am

Greetings all! I'm a new guy here and was wondering if anybody was familiar with the Shenandoah FP-I/ FP-S stoves? I decided to put a stove in my basement this year because of the ridiculous gas bills I get every January, but I couldn't afford a new coal burner. I found this stove for what I think is a good deal and I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how to do it on this site. Anyway, the stove is an FP-I jacketed wood/coal stove with a shaker grate and twin blower fans. It is in really good shape, as far as I can tell. The gaskets are all good and the fans work. I cleaned it up and hit it with a couple coats of stove paint. I intend to do an outside burn this weekend mainly to cook the paint before installation. The only issue so far is that the collar might be a little undersized. It measures exactly 8" ID but I had to crimp the crap out of a piece of snap lock to get it to fit and it still doesn't seat all the way. I guess I need an adapter. Anybody got any comments, concerns? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 102.3KB | image.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Nov. 27, 2013 10:06 am

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture of the firebox and grates?

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Wed. Nov. 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Rob,

It will be tomorrow evening before I get a chance to take any more pictures, but I will post one.

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Wed. Nov. 27, 2013 8:28 pm

I might add that I intend to burn bituminous coal primarily because that is what I grew up with and I can get most of it free. The stove did have anthracite in it when I cleaned it out but I think the original owner hauled bit up from KY and only switched to anthracite after retiring from trucking.

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Thu. Nov. 28, 2013 7:01 pm

We dragged the Shenandoah out into the driveway and fired her up with some good east KY bit coal. Everything seems great.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 154.7KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 103KB | image.jpg

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Rob,

Here's a pic of the firebox.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 189.9KB | image.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 9:24 pm

It looks like only that round grate in the center moves? If so, you will need to make a poker to help knock the ashes through the grate. That is a big firebox, it should make some serious heat with bit. coal.

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Yep, the center part of the grate rotates, I just wish I had the handle extension for the shaker. I can make one easy enough, though. Anyway, I had it fired up in the driveway for two days and was impressed with how much heat it put out and how little coal it burned. I finally found chimney materials as cheap as I'm likely to, now it's a matter of getting it all together. Also, I found an adapter to fit the flue collar so that's sorted.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 1:38 am

BrantSFGDS wrote: Anyway, I had it fired up in the driveway for two days and was impressed with how much heat it put out
I thought I felt a little warm up here today :lol:

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Sat. Jan. 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, we got it installed today! Much thanks to my Dad and stepson for all the help.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 112.2KB | image.jpg

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 7:15 am

I got the stove installed just in time for the worst of the weather. I've been burning wood for the time being because that's what I have access to at the moment. I've been learning the stove and it's pretty consistent. I'm not used to burning wood and didn't know what to expect but I was surprised that the max burn time I can get is 5 hours and that's with the stove full and both dampers closed. It will hum along with a door temp of 300-350 degrees loaded up with dampers closed.

A buddy gave me a bag of Blaschak anthracite the other day and I threw in a few pounds last night on top of a good bed of coals then I stacked 4 logs over that, closed the dampers and went to bed. This morning, the wood was gone but the coal was still there and hot. I put on a layer of coal and a load of wood and she is still going strong. I an to burn straight coal once I have the time and money to get a load. As for now, I've just been trying to get an overnight burn and wood alone wasn't doing it but I think I've found a good combination. I wish I had enough anthracite to run it straight for a few days so I could see what the stove would do loaded up with the stuff. Anthracite is newer to me than wood, we burned bit coal back home so this is a learning experience.

One thing is for sure, this stove would be useless without a damper in the stove pipe. My chimney has such a strong draft and this is an older stove that is not airtight so I have to close both dampers to slow it down. Otherwise, it looks like a blast furnace, lol. Once the grate is completely covered with a bed of coals, the airflow is cut down and the stove is easier to regulate but this thing has a huge grate and it takes a while to build up enough coals to cover it.

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Wed. Feb. 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Well, since it's going to be Down In single digits again, I decided to pick up a couple bags of Blaschak and put a full load in to see how things go. I fired her up about 2 hours ago and I have 20 Lbs in so far and it's burning really nice. This is the first run with a full load of coal.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Feb. 26, 2014 10:02 pm

It looks like you have a small ash pan, (wood/coal stove I assume), and grates just above that so empty the ash pan before you load her up for the night and enjoy. After a couple days of non-stove tending but 15 minutes will be a treat, enjoy. Mike.

BrantSFGDS

Post by BrantSFGDS » Thu. Feb. 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Well, I choked it down too much before going to bed and I woke up to stove full of cold unburned coal. It was cranking pretty good and I should have left her alone but I'm new at this anthracite stuff. Anyways, I lit her off when I got home tonight and I think I've got her dialed in. I'm curious to see what the burn time is.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 58.5KB | image.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”