Hand Fired or Stoker Stove Which?

Virginia Woodworker

Post by Virginia Woodworker » Mon. Mar. 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks for all the great help. I am going to decide soon. VW

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Aug. 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Old thread bumping to post my thoughts...

I've always been a hand fired coal guy (its easy for me, its what I know and I'm of the opinion the 4 minutes it takes to shake and load each day is so minimal I cant get myself to spend thousands on a stoker to save 2 minutes per day...only to loose any time savings with the hassle of constant cleaning, maintenance and all the possible problems a stoker brings with it that I wont elaborate on here).

However I will say that I would certainly consider and love a whole house stoker boiler/furnace someday, EFM, Leisure Line, Etc. would be at the front of my list!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Aug. 08, 2013 10:34 pm

The stoker better lends itself to central heating and to higher output than would be expected of a parlor stove.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Aug. 08, 2013 10:50 pm

franco b wrote:The stoker better lends itself to central heating and to higher output than would be expected of a parlor stove.
I too agree with heat output. I found my Keystoker 90 soon became my primary heat source purely by accident. I ran a Buderus 3115 for 28 years that served us well, and wanted something with a little less work. I will support my less work claim on a hand fed with coal quality. The Buderus loved low white ash coal which was hit or miss for me for many years. You also must realize I had no "Forum" members to talk with and was the only person I knew that did not give up on coal. That being said I supplemented my oil boiler with the 60,000 BTU Buderus. Many years later that same stove supplemented my new Buderus oil bolier, with an installed value of $8000.00 done by me and some good friends. Along came my Keystoker 90 and the supplement concept became replacement. The Buderus now heats my hot water only to the tune 0f $600.00 per year :mad:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”