Armstrong Stove & MFG Co.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 7:07 pm

I have been searching and searching for information on the Cannon heater I have made by the Armstrong stove & MFG Co. Perryville MD. The model name is "Pearl" no. 12

I found history about the company and it looks like the smithsonian library has a 1920s catologue but I can't access it because I'm not staff or some crap? I don't know.
http://siris-libraries.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?ses ... Co.&index=

I can't even find a photo of this model stove.
If anybody comes across anything or an old catalogue please let me know.

Also why are the Horizontal photos posted on here always cut in half?

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 7:20 pm

Talking about my Warm Morning stove needing a new grate, I got to thinking about this old stove. The grate and shaker handle is all one piece and the stove needs to be pulled apart to replace the grate. The grate is 9.250" . Anyone have an idea of any other stove grates that might fit in here just in case? I can't find any info on the stove and obviously no parts. It's amazing that people sell parts and have information about stoves from the middle of the 19th century but I can't find anything other than the years that the company was open on this old thing.

Last edited by Smokeyja on Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 7:32 pm

That is a very nice looking stove. A No. 12 it says.

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 7:35 pm

I would say, careful shaking down :D

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 8:15 pm

fastcat wrote:I would say, careful shaking down :D
I was thinking the same thing. It also looks like anything smart than stove all go right through those holes.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:
fastcat wrote:I would say, careful shaking down :D
I was thinking the same thing. It also looks like anything smart than stove all go right through those holes.
Yea I think it's time to do a little fabrication to use a ready available grate and a similar shake down as the WM . Won't be original but who cares right? No one has any information on stove anyways lol .

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 2:01 am

Good luck with it.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 5:09 pm

wsherrick wrote:Good luck with it.
Thanks. I have two ideas:
1. Buy parts for another stove and modify this stove to work with ready purchased parts.

2. Create a sand mold from the existing grate and have the foundr, down the road from me, pour the casting.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 5:22 pm

What's wrong with using it the way it is? You might have to use stove coal to prevent too much from falling through.

I would be super concerned with the fit of the ash pan door. If necessary put a sheet of wax paper across the opening and then put a bead of high temp silicon on the mating surfaces of the door. Close door against the wax paper until the silicon cures. Should insure an airtight fit. The air intake slide also should be tight.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 7:48 pm

franco b wrote:What's wrong with using it the way it is? You might have to use stove coal to prevent too much from falling through.

I would be super concerned with the fit of the ash pan door. If necessary put a sheet of wax paper across the opening and then put a bead of high temp silicon on the mating surfaces of the door. Close door against the wax paper until the silicon cures. Should insure an airtight fit. The air intake slide also should be tight.
I already anticipated using stove coal in this stove and I bought 540lbs of it to start. I inspected the grate even harder and I found 2 little fractures in the grate, so I don't want to damage it any further if I need to make a casting. No one sells anything for this stove and has zero information on it. As far as I can tell it's the only model stove of its kind from that manufacture, left. The wax paper and silicone is a good idea, the ashpan cover fits really well as is though but I'm going to do the silicone to make sure. I bought the new grate for my WM and its not moving for the winter so this one gets all the attention. I put a lot of effort into restoring this cannon heater and I don't want stop at the grate :). Each section was sealed with cording and cord gasket was added to the door as well. This is the most air tight it's ever been I'm sure.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”