Any Info on This Boiler?

Oscar3158

Post by Oscar3158 » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi all!
I'm looking to see if anyone knows about this boiler I picked up. Got it from a friend of a friend that knew I was looking for a bigger wood stove. He told me I could have it (and a half cord of wood) if I could get it out of his basement. He told me it had a short burn time and he was getting to old to keep hauling wood up and down the stairs. I've been checking out this site for about a month now (ONE OF THE BEST I'VE SEEN ANY WHERE ON THE NET!) And knew from what I've read on this site this was not a wood boiler the minute I saw it. But only having a back ground in burning wood any info anyone could lend would be a god send.
thanks, Oscar
The name on the front of it says WEBER INDUSTRIES,LA CROSSE WIS.on the back it says COLUMBIA BOILER CO. I will post better pics has soon has I can,thanks

Attachments

boiler 003.jpg

first pics

.JPG | 385.7KB | boiler 003.jpg
boiler 004.jpg
.JPG | 383.6KB | boiler 004.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 1:20 pm

That is similar to my Steel King, it may have a V shaped firebox. A boiler like that is going to need wood every 4-5 hours when it gets cold. If it has shaker grates, it can go about 12 hours on coal. I don't see any controls or gauges, are you sure its a boiler? Looks like a bypass damper at the top and an oil burner option. The last piece there is a loser, don't bother with the oil side stuff, block it off if you can. It is very ineffiecient, use whatever you have now for backup.

Everybody and their grandmother was making these things in the '70s when the oil got shut off. I'm just suprised that I keep seeing still different ones year after year at almost 40 years later.

Oscar3158

Post by Oscar3158 » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks Coaledsweat
Yes it has shaker grates on the bottom,A handle goes in the ash pan door when you open it. It has a bunch of pipes and controls on the back that I need to find what any of them do :? . And I was thinking the same thing about the oil burner. I need to get batteries for my camera and I will take much better detailed pictures for you all to see.

Thanks for the great forum,Oscar

billw

Post by billw » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Did you just buy that on ebay a couple of weeks ago?

Oscar3158

Post by Oscar3158 » Sat. Jan. 05, 2008 8:38 pm

No bill. It was a freebie,got it from a friend of a friend. Have you seen one like it on eBay?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”