Best Zero Turn Mower?

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 4:05 pm

OK guys, whats the best zero turn mower out there? About a 60inch cut or so.

I will be using it at my farm for yard and paddocks, no more than 6acres. I will not be doing any commercial mowing, but do want a mower that will last a long time.

Bk

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 4:21 pm

All I know is ... as long as you steer clear of Sears or MTD products, you should be fine. ;)

I'm curious to see what the general consensus is on this too. Since I own an ATV, it was foolish of me to buy a lawn tractor just to mow .... and mowing at 20 mph sounds much more like my style anyway. I may have to trade up this spring. :idea:

What say you all? Which is the best?

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Smitty we been using a 60" swisher tow behind for years now on our ATV and then on our UTV, best thing we ever did we cut over 3 acres. and its so much faster we are due for a replacement yes they don't build them like they used to plus the wife uses it like a brush hog ...... so it gets used hard we just buy the ones with the brigs motors on them

http://www.swisherinc.com/

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Can't go wrong with a Scag or an Exmark but they're not cheap. Were I in a market for another mower I would seriously consider a Bad Boy...

http://www.badboymowers.com/

Less expensive than a compatible Scag or Exmark and I would say just as well made (if not better).

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 5:26 pm

4 or 5 years ago we bought a brand new 48" Toro "Home Owner" zero turn. We cut our mowing time in half. It worked well and was dependable, but, my wife kept mowing more & more of the field & it's rough out there. Last year I found a used 48" Toro commercial Z-turn. WOW! What a beast it is. We cut our nowing itme in half, again! It has true hydraulic motors on the drive wheels & beastly heavy everything. I can not directly compare it to any others except my neighbor has a Cub Cadet. What a piece of junk THAT is! The one thing that really stands out is the noise. The Toro is SO quiet compared to the Cub Cadet. Of course the Toro makes noise, but that Cub, gad zooks, it's awful! On top of that, the Cub is uncomfortable to sit on & difficult to drive. So, that's all I know.... You'd be happy with a Toro and not so with a Cub Cadet.

I never heard of "Bad Boy" Mowers until 5 minutes ago....they look pretty good!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 5:42 pm

(singing) "one shitty tractor, Cub Cadet!" :lol:

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Walker, ExMark & Toro commercial, Ferris, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, John Deere Industrial Models, Skag commercial series. I have not heard of the "Bad-Boy", but it looks to be just as described!!!!! Stay away for Husky unless commercial models, Craftsman, MTD and the ever popular WTF brands. Many specialty commercial rigs are available, but you could spoil more cash on these than a brand new DF 520 installed, with all the goodies!!
There are others out there, but around here these are all I see. Kubota Commercial diesel powered rigs are superb also. All of these beasts suck down the fuel, but I don't know if you want a 3 cylinder diesel to make you happy. It pays in the long run, just like liquid cooling..................
I think Leno has one with a 502 on it.......mows very well at 100 MPH. Stoker Scott has a"Turbo Stoker 96" Fairway machine'. 35 lbs an hour she consumes, Buckwheat or Rice, carries an attached coal bin with 1600 lbs, 200 gallons of make-up water................. Nice looking rig also.
It has a modified Van Wert 1200 and EFM 900 stoker running low pressure steam. I think he is working on a Hover-Craft model, for flotation mowing in wet areas. The solid surface unit weighs in at 4500 lbs, and is on a Snow Cat boggee suspension. He has been seen taking the dirigible out near Cortland, NY, so he is up to something devious with Arnie......

Cub Cadet is only one of the 'beater rigs' available. The 'big boy store' boys sucker folks in with belt drive zero turns, that are OK for the happy homeowner, but they are like comparing an EFM 1300 with a can of Sterno! :!: :!: :idea: :mad:
Husky make one of the best saws, but it stops right there.....OK, the cut=off saw is excellent also, but that is the 'bitter end of the line'.
Last edited by whistlenut on Sun. Feb. 13, 2011 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 7:57 pm

bksaun wrote:OK guys, whats the best zero turn mower out there? About a 60inch cut or so.

I will be using it at my farm for yard and paddocks, no more than 6acres. I will not be doing any commercial mowing, but do want a mower that will last a long time.

Bk
The best is subjective but my choice for your application would be a Grasshopper brand. It will last your lifetime plus.

See: http://www.grasshoppermower.com/

I've got a 721D, diesel engine, 60" cutting deck and the optional vacuum attachment. They are expensive, well built and heavy. Not for fine golf green lawns.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 8:23 pm

grashoppers are good, swishers are good, I have a Husqarna, good also. As mentioned above, stay clear of Murray, MTD, Sears Craftsman, and EVERYTHING that Home Depot sells, since they are inferior models of better units.
Just remember, the good ones are not cheap, so don't go by price.

I custom-installed/fabricated a 2" receiver into the back of mine, so I can tow my trailer, log splitter, etc... behind mine.

hman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400 (sold) looking for another stove
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous

Post by hman » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 8:51 pm

I've got a 2044 xl Gravely zero turn.Built like their commercial series,has individual pumps and drive motors made by hydro gear.The deck is not a pressed deck but a welded deck hung on by chains.If you got any type of hills they aren't very good on them,no matter what brand you buy.If you go with a diesel,go with the kubota diesel engine,it's bullet proof.I would also suggest individual drive pumps and motors,their are ones at their that are all made in one.The hydro gears are easy too srvice if service is required.

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 8:56 pm

I've been extremely satisfied with my Grasshopper. As to longevity, 9 years with less than 3 deck spindles replaced, both hydro pumps are original and perfect, looks amazingly like a 2-3 year old machine. Built very heavy, but very easy to access the entire machine for maintenance.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Here is another thread about zero turn mowers....

Zero Turn Mowers

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 9:06 pm

hman wrote:I've got a 2044 xl Gravely zero turn.Built like their commercial series,has individual pumps and drive motors made by hydro gear.The deck is not a pressed deck but a welded deck hung on by chains.If you got any type of hills they aren't very good on them,no matter what brand you buy.If you go with a diesel,go with the kubota diesel engine,it's bullet proof.I would also suggest individual drive pumps and motors,their are ones at their that are all made in one.The hydro gears are easy too srvice if service is required.
that why we use a tow behind or front yard is one big hill, the kabota tractor we have will labor up it mowing ...lol

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 9:13 pm

bksaun wrote:OK guys, whats the best zero turn mower out there? About a 60inch cut or so.

Bk
I used a friends ferris once let me just say wow that four wheel suspension is impressive. You could really move, and it soaked up the bumps nicely. The unit seemed well built.

Just my two cents, Eric

paulfun

Post by paulfun » Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Stephen in Soky wrote:I've been extremely satisfied with my Grasshopper. As to longevity, 9 years with less than 3 deck spindles replaced, both hydro pumps are original and perfect, looks amazingly like a 2-3 year old machine. Built very heavy, but very easy to access the entire machine for maintenance.
Why does it keep needing spindles replaced?

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”