My Current Huge Project With Radiant In Floor Heating

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 8:31 pm

In June and July this summer [2009], I decided that it was time for me to stop putting up with my falling apart, marginally built north section of my house. This portion of the house was comprised of four or five older additions, that had been combined together with a common roof. These old additions were mostly old woodsheds or lean-to sheds added to each other.

This part of the house sat on a very shallow 'foundation', basily a shallow trench with a few fieldstones to rest the building on, with only a few inches of 'crawlspace' between the floor joists and the dirt. When the ground froze in the winter, the house squirmed from the frost lifting the sections of the house, doors would jam, walls crack, and heat leaked to the outdoors in large quantities. I believe that at least half of my coal/heat use was in this part of my house.

So I drew up a few plans, got a few estimates on materials and located some labor and work crews, and finally decided to get started in August. I first had a large japanese maple tree moved from in front of the house to the back yard near the pond.
1.JPG

Japanese Maple had to go

.JPG | 124.9KB | 1.JPG
2.JPG
.JPG | 138.1KB | 2.JPG
3.1.JPG

New location for the Japanese Maple

.JPG | 131.3KB | 3.1.JPG
3.3.JPG

Maple tree is out of the way, Demolition soon

.JPG | 130.6KB | 3.3.JPG
The two story part of the house stays, the story and half section is to be demolished.
6.4.JPG

Demolition started on August 28th

.JPG | 157.9KB | 6.4.JPG
7.0.JPG

It took only about 10 hours to knock down the building, and load the dumpsters

.JPG | 147.5KB | 7.0.JPG
More in next post.

Greg L

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Sounds like a good decision to start from scratch on that section. Thanks for the pics. Keep em coming!

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Wow Greg, you could have had the house raized, and a full basement/foundation built under it. Unless you were doing the demolition to add sq footage living space?
Nice tree, glad you kept it....

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Here you can see the wonderful crawlspace and foundation under the demolished sections of the house
6.8.JPG

I recovered about 400 feet of 1", 3/4" and 1/2" copper pipe.

.JPG | 178.9KB | 6.8.JPG
6.9.JPG

nice deep 'crawlspace'

.JPG | 201.2KB | 6.9.JPG
7.1.JPG

Brought in a seriously large excavator

.JPG | 101.8KB | 7.1.JPG
And dug a nice deep hole for a 9' walled basement
7.2.jpg
.JPG | 178.7KB | 7.2.jpg
And poured a new basement attached to the old fieldstone walls of the old basement
7.8.jpg
.JPG | 142.1KB | 7.8.jpg
Installed hot water heat pipes in the basement floor
8.1.jpg

Pex tubing for heated basement floor

.JPG | 163.2KB | 8.1.jpg
More to come in next post

Greg L

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:03 pm

I now have a wonderful new basement, with heated floor, and the old cellar is now the 'utility room'.
8.6.jpg

Old basement, 6' height, new 9' height. The floor joists are 2x10's 12" on center spanning 12', about a 200% overbuild

.JPG | 132.3KB | 8.6.jpg
Now comes the fun part, putting up the new structure:
IMG_1911.JPG

First few walls

.JPG | 155.8KB | IMG_1911.JPG
Second story rising
IMG_1936.JPG

22' span using 14" TGI engineered wood trusses, 12" on center, about a 200% overbuild.

.JPG | 161.3KB | IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG
.JPG | 130.5KB | IMG_1945.JPG
Roof trusses finally
IMG_1962.JPG

It took only 1 hour to put up all the trusses

.JPG | 149.1KB | IMG_1962.JPG
More to come.

Greg L

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:08 pm

WOW! Nice!! :up:

Your living my dream right now. Someday I want that to happen to my entire house! :lol:

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:13 pm

I'll bet the heat is on at Greg's right now. The 260 is chugging away, lovin' it's new home. It won't take 48 tons to keep this well built, well insulated update, warm this winter. Hopefully the weather has been with you out there also.
Water tight, and heated are the key works in construction......along with: 'here's your check, thanks for bustin' you hump'!
:shock: :P :idea: :D

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos Greg. I'd be happy just to see the aluminum siding gone off this place and new clapboards installed.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Big project and looks great.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:29 pm

With the tusses up, the roof goes on, the urgent goal to keep the weather out.. I did have some minor water damage to the floor plywood, but easily repaired.
IMG_2022.JPG
.JPG | 165.7KB | IMG_2022.JPG
The new structure will have a two-story foyer, with a stairway to the second floor, and a balcony around the perimeter of the foyer. My master bedroom will have french doors opening onto the balcony, overlooking the stairs and foyer. The old kitchen overlooked the back yard and pond, with only one window, the old family/TV room overlooked the driveway.. These have been reversed in the new structure, the family room will open onto a 32'x20' deck overlooking the back yard. The new kitchen will be in the 12'x21' 'pop-out' adjacent to the driveway.

The whole new structure is built on virtually the same footprint of the old house. The added living space is mostly the upstairs which will be a library and a 2nd story laundry.

The new structure will have R27 walls and R50+ ceilings. The heat will be hot water heated floors, the main floor a 1.5" 'suspended slab' with Pex tubing on 6" spacing. The second floor will have sub floor pex tubing on 12" centers, I am not expecting to need much added heat upstairs. The flooring on the main level will be 75% natural slate, and the remainder 1/2" engineered, prefinished wood. Both of these flooring products will be installed on the concrete suspended slab.
IMG_2040.JPG

main entry door, into 2-story foyer, ringed by a balcony

.JPG | 139.6KB | IMG_2040.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

Pex tubing installed

.JPG | 147.5KB | IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG

Pouring the 'suspended slab'

.JPG | 126.3KB | IMG_2053.JPG
IMG_2055.JPG

Foyer floor, will be covered with slate

.JPG | 153.8KB | IMG_2055.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG

Primary/Secondary plumbing for floor heat, only the main floor has heat at this time.

.JPG | 88.8KB | IMG_2074.JPG
I have been working [flying] a lot, so I've had to just rig up an extension cord to run the circulator, and a thermostat to trigger the primary pump to keep the water up to temp. So far I'm keeping the main level at 55*, the heated floor seems to be at about 60-65* to accomplish this, depending on outside temps and winds.. the building only has 1" of foam on the walls, only R7 insulation for now. There are no ceilings, the rooms are open to the ridge peaks, and the eaves and peaks are vented, so the house is not 'air tight' yet.. But it is amazing that the main floor is comfortable with the floor at ~60*.
I can't wait till I have the time to wire the ceiling lighting, and get drywall on the ceilings.. then the house will warm up considerably.

More to come.

Greg L

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey is this the next "This Old House" episodes ? Wow what an undertaking. Pics are great! Will you be opening a Bed and Breakfast ? Ya did a good thing ya did! Can ya do mine next?

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:44 pm

With the heat finally keeping the structure at least warm, I've had time to plan and engineer the wrap-around front porch modifications.. and bring the porch roof around the west side of the house, and over the main entrance.

I am VERY pleased with the appearance of the house with the wrap-around porch. I have been visualizing this porch for years on the old house, and knew that it would look good, especially on the new rebuilt structure. But WOW,, I'm really amazed how well the porch tied the old and new together, making it look like it was always built that way. Even though the old is dated as being built in 1849, and the new, well, last month.

The siding is going on, all the windows and doors are installed, I have a lot of wiring, plumbing, and drywall work to do. The adjoining wall between the old and new sections will require a lot of new doors, and engineering to join the old and new,
IMG_2079.JPG

No wraparound porch

.JPG | 136.9KB | IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG

With porch

.JPG | 107.1KB | IMG_2095.JPG
22.3.jpg
.JPG | 136.1KB | 22.3.jpg

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:50 pm

WOW Greg - Nice change from the original space you had! What are you going to use for ridge vents and what is that finger like material beneath the ridge on the rafters? Sure looks toasty :)

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:57 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:WOW Greg - Nice change from the original space you had! What are you going to use for ridge vents and what is that finger like material beneath the ridge on the rafters? Sure looks toasty :)
Dave,
I think your seeing the Truss connectors? Flat sheets of perforated galvanized steel, that is manufactured (Squeezed around the framing to make the trusses.
Looks like they are preparing for a raised-vented ridgeline. Those work great, but don't trust them to remove all the built-up heat in the summertime. Go ahead and install a couple fans/vents.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Greg, are you going to do that spray foam insulation inside, or just regular fiberglass? That foam is like an R7 per inch - I was going to do my drafty 2nd floor with the stuff.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”