IPPC and Al Gores Nobel Prize Deserved or a Sham?

Sham or no Sham

Undeserved
83%
Deserved
7%
Who's Al Gore?
11%

Total votes: 46

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 1:39 pm

I saw an interesting piece in on one of the TV new magazines recently, might have been 60 minutes or possibly 20/20 . The article focused on a few climatologists that had opposing views to much of what you see on the TV. apparently they aren't alone either. They agreed Global Warming was happening, that would be hard to deny under any circumstances. There contention was that there is simply not enough evidence to support that it was humans causing it.

Of particular interest was one scientist who was member of the IPPC panel that resigned. His commentary was the most compelling. I'll list some of the major points that were raised by the scientists regarding the IPPC and Al Gores movie.

1. The scientist that was a member of the panel left because as he stated any dissenting view or data that did not support the theory would be ignored by the panel and not even discussed.

2. The panel is not only made up of scientist but members of Greenpeace, Sierra Club etc. Any documentation regarding global warming that any of these groups have come anywhere near becomes null and void in my opinion.

3. The dissenting scientist who had left had his name included in the report as if he signed off on it. It was removed but only after he threatened suit.

----------
And probably the most amusing/disturbing depending on your perspective is a lot of the spin contained in Al Gores movie.
----------

4. I haven't seen the Al Gore movie myself but apparently one of the more dramatic scenes is when he is at a podium with a big graph behind him depicting the amount of CO2 and the temperature changes in the earth. Wherever there was a spike in the CO2 there was spike in temperature. This would lead you to believe that rising CO2 is causing the earth to warm.

What they fail to point out is that the CO2 begins to rise after the temperatures begin to rise which instead would lead you to believe it was the warming of the earth that has caused the CO2 to rise which of course wouldn't fall inline with their beliefs.

When Al Gore was asked about this he failed to comment.

----

Who to believe? I don't know, what I do know is you need to get both the radical environmentalists and big business out of the picture and let the scientists do their work to come to a conclusion. Until that point I won't believe anything coming from either side.
Last edited by Richard S. on Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Total Sham !!

First of all, I didn't know Al Gore was a scientist. I knew he invented the internet of course, but I didn't know he was a scientist also. All he did was merely narrate the movie and point to a few graphs that was explained to him 5 minutes before the camera rolled.

Secondly, there are a bunch of scientist ( that the liberal media will not report ) that debunk alot of what was said to be fact in the so called factual documentary.

Big Al was simply a well known face that colud capture a select audience because of his political clout.

Maybe the actual film maker or even the scientists deserve a Nobel Peace Prize but not Big Al.

That is akin to handing the Lombary Trophy to John Madden and not the actual winning team just because he called the game for the television audience. Gore did nothing but "Call the Game"

I look at it like this. These scientist get millions of dollars to study global warming. Now, if they were to come out and say that global warming is in fact a natural occurance and not man made at all, do you really think these scientists wouldstill get the millions of dollars for research? Absolutely not. So, it is in their best interest to only report the POSSIBLE global warming that COULD BE associated with man made industrialization. And totally ignore and fail to report that this could also very well be a natural earth cycle. It isn't that had to see that is it? :wink:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 2:59 pm

House 1

The four-bedroom home was planned so that "every room has a relationship with something in the landscape that's different from the room next door. Each of the rooms feels like a slightly different place." The resulting single-story house is a paragon of environmental planning.

The passive-solar house is built of honey-colored native limestone and positioned to absorb winter sunlight, warming the interior walkways and walls of the 4,000-square-foot residence. Geothermal heat pumps circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground.

These waters pass through a heat exchange system that keeps the home warm in winter and cool in summer. A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof urns; wastewater from sinks, toilets, and showers cascades into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern.

The water from the cistern is then used to irrigate the landscaping around the four-bedroom home, (which) uses indigenous grasses, shrubs, and flowers to complete the exterior
treatment of the home.

In addition to its minimal environmental impact, the look and layout of the house reflect one of the paramount priorities: relaxation. A spacious 10-foot porch wraps completely around the residence and beckons the family outdoors.

With few hallways to speak of, family and guests make their way from room to room either directly or by way of the porch. "The house doesn't hold you in. Where the porch ends there is grass. There is no step-up at all." This house consumes 25% of the energy of an average American home.

(Source: Cowboys and Indians Magazine, Oct. 2002 and Chicago Tribune April 2001.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

House 2

This 20-room, 8-bathroom house consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year. The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, this house devoured nearly 221,000 kWh, more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, the house burned through 22,619 kWh, guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of this energy consumption, the average monthly electric bill topped $1,359. Also, natural gas bills for this house and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year. In total, this house had nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for 2006.

(Source: just about anywhere in the news last month online and on talk radio, but barely on TV.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

House 1 belongs to George and Laura Bush
and is in Crawford, Texas.

House 2 belongs to Al and Tipper Gore
and is in Nashville, Tennessee.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Total B.S. I saw the movie and was infuriated. He didn't mention once that plowing or tilling soil releases co2, that is where a lot of it comes from. More people breathing out co2 also increases co2 in the air. Global warming, if you want to call it that (look at real facts, the earth is 1 degree warmer than it was 100 years ago) is probably directly proportional to the increase in the worlds population. More people + less trees = more Co2. Some NASA scientists disagreed with Gore and really took heat for it. I trust a NASA scientist more than a politician. Remember Tipper Gore was the one who blamed rock music for the reason teens act funny. The graphs are a joke, all critical facts are left out of all the graphs. Everything is based on "models" or "biased assumptions based on what we want" as I call it. There are excellent criticisms on the web that verify the fact that no polar bears died due to global warming. I'm telling you though, this nut's cronies will be the ones that bans burning coal, wood, pellets, corn, oh yea and no guns either so that Americans turn into sheep completely dependent on the government and their oil companies. I think that having a private jet flying him all over the place so he can crap out of his mouth will use more fuel in a month than the average SUV driver will use in 20 years.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Thats ironic about the houses... :lol:

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 3:18 pm

e.alleg,

Don't hold back, tell us what you REALLY think. :o :) :P

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 3:51 pm

ktm rider wrote:e.alleg,

Don't hold back, tell us what you REALLY think. :o :) :P
maybe at the next "business meeting" :lol:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 6:18 pm

I find it pretty odd that Gore's film is everywhere and refrenced like a treehuggers Bible. Just try and get a copy of the British documentry called "The Great Global Warming Swidle". It was on Google and was removed, you will never see it on TV. Someone or something doesn't want it out there.

The world's most renouned climatoligist at MIT says its crap, I'll believe him.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 6:29 pm

A bit of fun....

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 7:06 pm

While I do know in my own mind what is causing the warming, the fact is, it is happening and we have to live with it. Whatever happened to driving with the windows open? Too hot, isn't it? The polar ice is melting at an alarming rate and this is a fact. All humans, animal & plant life will be going thru changes over the next 50yrs. There may be crops we depend on for survival that may not be able to grow in a hotter dryer climate. It's just a little scary.

I heard from a good source but I do not have the facts to back it up, Gore is making millions off of a consultanting firm he created. The firm engineers design energy saving buildings to reduce the cost of power thus help reduce or slow global warming. Has anyone heard a similar story concerning Gore's private firm?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 7:38 pm

Since the time the anthracite we burn was buried as vegetation, the earth has been warming and cooling. 18,000 years ago there was a mile of ice over the ground the anthracite was buried in. And there was another glacier there about 40,000 years before that. What happened to that one? Don't tell me, Fred Flintstone and his footmobile did those glaciers in? Want to bet against there being another in 20,000 years? Man has lived through a few ice ages, I doubt this one will be any different than the rest. It is a natural cycle and well documented, I find it difficult to believe the elite can't see it.

They always talk about gases anyway, when is someone going to start calculating the HEAT that is produced by man. Cars, trucks, factories, steel mills, steam plants, coal stoves, toasters, electric blankets, thats a lot of heat. Where the hell is that calculation?

There is some new research that suggests that the ice ages are timed to solar sunspot activity. That makes a lot of sense, since that is what really is warming this planet. Not CO or Al Gore.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Big al sounds Just like that big A Hole Michael Moore A few Years ago
nothing But Big B.S. just trying to make money As Far as Global warming
Goes Are Planet has been Going threw different cycles changes for
millions of years Just another cycle change All you can do about it is to

stay on for the ride and see where it takes us I am alot more Worried
about Nuclear Bombs Going off All over the Planet :shock:
Then Global warming This is going to happend alot Sooner And cause alot
more Problems then What Big Al is talking about We should be Focusing
on this real threat then anything eles Just my 2 cents on this issue :o

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 10:00 pm

It's late for me, so time does not permit me to comment on this subject at this time. It could take a long time.

Please follow this link to a story from Newsweek that was published on the 1970's.

Sometimes I find it amazing that we have survived this long, given the character of the people that some of us look to as leaders!

http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm

edit: fixed link, urls are atomatically generated as links, you don't have to wrap a url with the url tags. Those are for creating link text .

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 7:56 am

Don't forget, decomposing leaves ( think fall time kids) are a huge source of Co2 gases.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 8:29 am

A large quantity of the CO2 enters the atmosphere every time Al Gore says something!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”