Van Wert Coal/Wood Boiler

coalcrazy

Post by coalcrazy » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 6:32 pm

does anyone know about the van wert hand fired coal/wood boilers? looked at one today looks great but no manfs. plate. was hooked up to oil boiler @ 167,000 btu. guy wants 1000 bucks for it. it has large steel tubes just above the fire area. heat exchangers? looks well made, great condition. any thoughts, comment, or warnings. thanks

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 7:22 pm

Those boilers are very well made. I have never seen a hand fired Van Wert, could you post some pics please. I would say it is a good price for a great boiler. :)

coalcrazy

Post by coalcrazy » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 10:09 pm

i didn't get any pics but it's good to know there're good units. one thing I noticed is the previous owner burned wood so the tubes and box are coated in a thick coating of creosote. how is the best way to clean this unit so it is efficient? i'll burn coal only. thanks again for any advice. coalcrazy.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 2:16 am

Just good old elbow-grease... I used a small garden hoe to scrape the insides of my 'Big Bertha' boiler. You could scrape as much as possible, then burn some coal in it.. the coal has very little moisture in it, so it will dry our the creosote and it will brush off easier.

Photos?

Van Wert made very good stoker boilers.. Richard has one,, Matthaus has had and sold a few.

Greg L

coalcrazy

Post by coalcrazy » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 8:46 am

thanks guys for the replies. I love this forum. i'll pick the unit up on sat. I feel it's a great unit for the money. I don't think theres alot of these around my research came up very minimal. i'd like to find a brochure or manual for it.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 1:17 pm

post pics when you get it!! :)

I'm planning on dedicating an area in my garage (when it's built) to put a hand fired boiler. It will be my backup in case the liberals tax coal to the point where I have to go get my own tax free fuel. I hope it never comes to that b/c my new to me KA-4 is saaawweeeeet!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 3:27 pm

I wasn't aware they made hand fired units, pictures would be nice. Here's the stoker boiler I have:

Attachments

Picture 001.jpg
.JPG | 48.4KB | Picture 001.jpg

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 3:55 pm

There was a handfired one for sale on craigslist for a while.

Is this one it?

coalcrazy

Post by coalcrazy » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 4:16 pm

yeah I thought the guy said it was a tarm over the phone but to my surprise when I got there it was a van wert. I too never heard of a hand fired and apparently they're pretty rare but the stoker seems well built so maybe this is too. I promise lots of pics by the end of the weekend.

brianslice

Post by brianslice » Sun. Feb. 14, 2010 12:47 pm

hey guys im new here and sorry im jumpin in late -but-do yas still want some pics ? I have been runin my vanwert for 2 years on only oil lol --but it is a simplex multithermOCF120 & HF120 says wood/coal or oil
i have repaired and replaced alot of parts and a good friend (he works for Farm and Home heating company) trained me on it lol----but I only use oil and really really want to burn wood and coal---i still have alot of reading on here 1st--but
i sure could use a manual lol ----
art 1st I didnt even know the gem I had but-it stop working in the middle of the last storm-another 3 feet of snow lol and some how I fixed it but---right befor I fixed it I literally had balled up news paper in it and a log in my hand lol needless to say I repaired it for now back on oil but with that came a new found luv and friendship between me and her after foundling and caressing her she purs like a kitten I believing-you guys correct me if im wrong --there is only one thing not available to repair these beautiful gems---the manual lol
so yes good buy and ya really cant go wrong the thing is built like a tank so its all repairable I really cant see it ever rusting apart and as for the becket awg unit on mine it still has all replacemnt parts and even an entire replacemt complete unit from factory---although not need because the casting for main body is still the same so ya can just pop on any upgraded parts like pump and what not\
any way great buy !!! also have ya fired her up yet ?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Feb. 14, 2010 1:25 pm

coalcrazy wrote:thanks guys for the replies. I love this forum. i'll pick the unit up on sat. I feel it's a great unit for the money. I don't think theres alot of these around my research came up very minimal. i'd like to find a brochure or manual for it.
Call these Places they might have a Manual or know where to get one they sell & have a few parts for them
Your unit is a wood coal & oil combo good older units scrapper had one two seasons ago at the shop refurb it and sold it the guy that bought loves it he burns both wood and coal in it heating a house and a truck garage with lots of BTU's left over

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood ... rence.html

http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merchant5/merchant. ... ory_Code=S

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”