Have New OCB - Wont Stay Lit, Any Tips?

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Hey Joe,
What is the best way to turn down a big fire? I have been afraid to really restrict the air to it when it gets too hot. I have a screw in air control on the ash door, an mpd and a baro. I have closed the mpd partially, haven't really cranked down the ash door knob but do adjust it a lot. open it if the fire is going down. I adjust the baro a lot too.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Dec. 20, 2008 2:04 am

lauriecoke wrote:I believe we are using nut coal, it is about 1-3". At the bottom of the page on the shave sight it has "nut" coal as a smaller size. We did ask and I believe it is the right size grate. We put more coal on tonight and it seems to be doing much better. Hopefully, we will be able to figure out just how much we need for the long hauls of days and nights.

Laurie
1 to 3" is more like a Nut & Stove coal mix . Nut should be 1 5/8" x 13/16"
Stove size should be 2 7/16" X 1 5/8 " Check the links below they will show you the correct size for Anthracite coal
Oh Any size over 2 7/16 Would be Egg size Anthracite coal .

http://www.readinganthracite.com/mining_sizes.html

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

lauriecoke

Post by lauriecoke » Sat. Dec. 20, 2008 7:20 pm

Thank you all so much for your help. You have been great! So far so good! It is hard to break the habbits of wood, but we are learning.

Laurie

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”