Viking Jr. Top Door Insulation Question

caper1175

Post by caper1175 » Tue. Oct. 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi all,
The top door on my Viking Jr. has a plate on the back side that sandwiches what looks like fibreglass insulation between it and the door. It's pretty deteriorated and I am going to replace it. Could this be asbestos or is it just fibreglass insulation? If it is asbestos, would it be OK to replace it with fibreglass? I'm not sure if this is factory or if the previous owners added this for some reason. Thanks in advance.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Oct. 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Go to your local plumbing supply house and ask them for some Kaowool, it is fiberglass insulation and comes in a few sizes.

caper1175

Post by caper1175 » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 8:33 am

Super...thanks for the reply. I'll stop by on my way home from work.

SJ Coal

Post by SJ Coal » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Actually, Kaowool is a ceramic fiber blanket type insulation, which is most likely what is on your door now. I would just be cautious when removing the old stuff. Ceramic fiber insulation that has been exposed to high heat can become friable (easily breaks up and travels through the air). I would at a minimum wear a dust mask when handling with it.

I work for a insulation company and when we remove Kaowool from the inside of heaters at the refinery we have to treat it as asbestos. It is believed that the ceramic fibers can cause health problems similar to asbestos.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”