Anyone else holding off on burning due to price?

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 11:20 am

jdode wrote:
Tue. Nov. 08, 2022 9:57 pm
I'm going over to my 3 year old post, regarding a hunt for a wood/coal stove. I don't want to hijack this thread. Posting pics of the possibilities over there.
Post a link to the thread

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 6:31 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Nov. 08, 2022 9:20 pm

I don't see nat gas ever being shut down unless something catastrophic happens. You will still have pressure for quite a while. You can't stock enough gas to last all that long.
It can happen. We built our house in the fall of 1978 and there was a shortage of gas. The lines weren’t extended to the16 houses in our part of the development. None of the 16 houses still have gas.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 6:51 pm

pintoplumber wrote:
Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 6:31 pm
It can happen. We built our house in the fall of 1978 and there was a shortage of gas. The lines weren’t extended to the16 houses in our part of the development. None of the 16 houses still have gas.
Wait, how much gas did we produce in 78? How much more infrastructure do we have 44 years later?

jdode
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vintage laundry tank heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Natural gas

Post by jdode » Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 7:18 pm

ASea wrote:
Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 11:20 am
Post a link to the thread
Choosing A Coal Burning Stove for the House

jdode
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vintage laundry tank heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Natural gas

Post by jdode » Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 7:56 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Nov. 08, 2022 9:20 pm

I don't see nat gas ever being shut down unless something catastrophic happens. You will still have pressure for quite a while. You can't stock enough gas to last all that long.
Do natural gas plants use natural gas generators, or, diesel generators? I ask, because electric plants use diesel generators and we have a diesel fuel shortage.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 8:20 pm

jdode wrote:
Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 7:56 pm
Do natural gas plants use natural gas generators, or, diesel generators? I ask, because electric plants use diesel generators and we have a diesel fuel shortage.
Electric plants use coal, biomass, nat gas, and nuclear to produce electricity. Nuclear plants tend to use diesel generators for emergency back-up. I would assume nat gas processing facilities use electric to run. Seems as though they would use nat gas generator as backup, but who knows. Gas is sent from processing plant to big pipelines and transported to storage or end user. Big pipelines are higher pressure. Line to your house is 4 psi, I believe. Nope, 2 psi. Just checked. 15 to 60psi in the lines before that at the service regulator. No idea where that is. But that's why I said with the pressures in the lines, I believe you would have a longer timed use of nat gas vs storing gas for a generator. Nat gas doesn't go stale either.

miner33
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith Series 15 Smith-Mills hand fed

Post by miner33 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 5:49 pm

I fired up Unit 2 (HB Smith Mills 15 five section boiler) one week ago. I'm not burning fuel oil at $5+ a gallon. I paid $380/ton bulk and though that is a lot for coal, it is still a bargain compared to oil.

I'm a coal miner, I don't mind shoveling a little coal.

Bob P., Kittanning, PA

miner33
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith Series 15 Smith-Mills hand fed

Post by miner33 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 5:58 pm

Bituminous coal is nasty for heating your home. It has a LOT of smoke, stink, and ash. I mine the stuff for a living and I use anthracite for heating my home. Anthracite is much more convenient and a pleasure to burn compared to bituminous.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 10:02 pm

jdode wrote:
Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 7:56 pm
It's been 30 years since I worked in the gas compression and cleanup plants.
At that time the different plants all used various different power units for the gas compression everything from 600 rpm piston engines inline 6's, inline 8's inline 12's some of which drove compressors, some had the compressor cylinders on a common crank with the drive unit. Even some big V12's and 16's and some gas turbines running through planetary gear sets to piston compressors. Some plants had electric motors on the compressors a few 460Volt, many4160Volt and a few 13,000 volt motors.
Most of the plants using electric drives also had there own primary generators usually big gas turbines.
Those plants took the incoming well gas cleaned and dried it, then removed much of the richer hydrocarbons such as propane and various pentanes to reduce the btu of the "natural" gas to the proper value at times they even added air to the gas to bring the btu per cubic to the required value. Many of the large cross country transmission lines run in excess of 2000 psi, these also have booster plants to recompress and raise the pressure as it drops from line losses. The 40-60 psi lines are the smaller distribution lines they can be feed with almost any inlet pressure from 2000 psi down to 100 psi.

A far as a Natural gas disruption it would be very possible just look at Texas last winter. There can be booster station issues, pipeline issues. Many industrial users are on curtailment systems were homes and such have priority and they may have to quit using gas when demand is high when that occurs it wouldn't take much more for service to fail.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 11:40 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Wed. Nov. 09, 2022 6:51 pm
Wait, how much gas did we produce in 78? How much more infrastructure do we have 44 years later?
If the gas supply ever gets shut down millions will be in a world of hurt. Just another good reason to keep my trusty wood stove ready. Anything is possible, I never though id be having a hard time getting coal either in the middle of coal country.

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 12:52 pm

miner33 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 17, 2022 5:58 pm
Bituminous coal is nasty for heating your home. It has a LOT of smoke, stink, and ash. I mine the stuff for a living and I use anthracite for heating my home. Anthracite is much more convenient and a pleasure to burn compared to bituminous.
ive been burning anthracite, and came into some shitty bit. i enjoy burning bit due to it being alot cheaper but im in north east pa

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:35 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 11:40 am
If the gas supply ever gets shut down millions will be in a world of hurt. Just another good reason to keep my trusty wood stove ready. Anything is possible, I never though id be having a hard time getting coal either in the middle of coal country.
My response was to whomever said they ran out of gas in 78. Considering gas transmission lines run at 2000 psi, it seems lines should stay pressurised for awhile if there is a power outage.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:39 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:35 pm
My response was to whomever said they ran out of gas in 78. Considering gas transmission lines run at 2000 psi, it seems lines should stay pressurised for awhile if there is a power outage.
I guess its not so easy to store it as a liquid at -260 degrees. Would make quite a racket if the cooing system failed. Or it somehow got ignited.
Last edited by k-2 on Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:44 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:39 pm
I guess its not so easy to store it as a liquid at -260 degrees.
How is it stored in the caverns, like in Europe? If they regasify it from a tanker, does it just get pumped back into the cavern as a gas?

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:47 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:44 pm
How is it stored in the caverns, like in Europe? If they regasify it from a tanker, does it just get pumped back into the cavern as a gas?
I would assume its not kept as a liquid for long periods. But is the cavern air tight or gas tight?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”