Anyone else holding off on burning due to price?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:50 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 1:47 pm
I would assume its not kept as a liquid for long periods. But is the cavern air tight or gas tight?
Seems as though it would have to be. I remember reading that here, old wells are used along with caverns, tanks, etc. I think it depends on part of country.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 5:45 pm

The caverns and salt domes are not filled with liquid natural gas, it is just natural gas under a bit of pressure. When it is reintroduced into the system compressor stations suck it out to pressurize and send it out. When a pipeline stops getting pressurized gas the compressed volume gets used quite rapidly.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Wed. Nov. 23, 2022 10:43 am

I seem to be going through a lot more coal than normal this year. On a normal year id just go through my first ton by Jan1. This year i already used 60% of the first ton. I have coal from a different mine this year though.

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Fri. Nov. 25, 2022 11:41 am

k-2 wrote:
Wed. Nov. 23, 2022 10:43 am
I seem to be going through a lot more coal than normal this year. On a normal year id just go through my first ton by Jan1. This year i already used 60% of the first ton. I have coal from a different mine this year though.
interesting. im sure mines vary in quality. and with everything going to other countries im sure we are getting the run of the mine slop now

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Sat. Nov. 26, 2022 8:19 pm

At this price the propane can burn in the hot water tank. Just stops being worth the effort

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 11:01 am

No coal for me this year. I'm back to wood, except for a couple super sacks of bit I got from a forum member just to experiment with. 10 cords of wood for the cost of 1 1/2 tons of coal, plus 6 days of exercise to process the logs into firewood.
20221126_115241.jpg

Coal bin is sitting nearly empty this year.

.JPG | 1.3MB | 20221126_115241.jpg

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Mon. Nov. 28, 2022 8:21 am

im letting my coal sit in the bin and will burn propane at 91 percent efficiency and 1.61 dollars per gallon when in bought it .C0al will be back up fuel in case of condensing boiler issues.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 5:41 am

I am experiencing the best coal I have ever burned. All nice size pieces. Burns great. Penn Keystone coal packaged in Kimmel bags. Heating 3000 square foot house with 2 stoves. Presently highs in high 40's maybe low 50's lows in the low 30's maybe high 20's. Using total of 50-55 pounds per day. Costing me less than $10 per day during this mild weather. I just finished tending the stoves and was thinking that I kinda like tending the stoves. I have it down to a couple of minutes and I take pleasure in the warm evenly heated house and my efforts. Best thing I have done was get rid of that indirect water heater that ran off my oil boiler. That electric hybrid is cheap to run and supplies more hot water than I will ever need.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 5:02 pm

I’m not buying coal this year. Wood pellets for me this year. I have a ton of anthracite leftover from last year and a ton of bit from two years ago. My propane tank was filled ten years ago. Haven’t used any of that. Then again I got rid of the furnace ten years ago as well. I have a few non vented heaters I can use if worse comes to worse. And I’ll burn any wood I can manage to scrounge up. Definitely not buying coal until it comes back down. If it ever does. I’m not crazy about pellets but for my situation it’s the cheapest alternative this time around.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 6:15 pm

fig wrote:
Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 5:02 pm
I’m not buying coal this year. Wood pellets for me this year. I have a ton of anthracite leftover from last year and a ton of bit from two years ago. My propane tank was filled ten years ago. Haven’t used any of that. Then again I got rid of the furnace ten years ago as well. I have a few non vented heaters I can use if worse comes to worse. And I’ll burn any wood I can manage to scrounge up. Definitely not buying coal until it comes back down. If it ever does. I’m not crazy about pellets but for my situation it’s the cheapest alternative this time around.
I'd burn the propane, it's paid for.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 2:12 pm

No furnace. I only have a couple of nonvented heaters I only use in emergencies. I really don’t like them.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 4:10 pm

fig wrote:
Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 2:12 pm
No furnace. I only have a couple of nonvented heaters I only use in emergencies. I really don’t like them.
I agree ,they are indoor air polluters. But vented is good.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 5:16 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 5:41 am
That electric hybrid is cheap to run and supplies more hot water than I will ever need.
My brother in law has one, he loves it, my sister said their electric bill actually went down after starting to use it, and that was after the rate increases, previously they were using an oil boiler for domestic. I'd be interested to see how it works!

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 5:27 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 5:16 pm
My brother in law has one, he loves it, my sister said their electric bill actually went down after starting to use it, and that was after the rate increases, previously they were using an oil boiler for domestic. I'd be interested to see how it works!
I am delighted I don't need to use my oil boiler. For years I was perturbed that I had to run that just for Domestic Hot water all summer.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 5:37 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 5:27 pm
I am delighted I don't need to use my oil boiler. For years I was perturbed that I had to run that just for Domestic Hot water all summer.
My HPWH is going on ten years now ,probably paid for itself twice in that time
frame .Id replace it without incentives but i think they are still offered.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”