anyone have the large antramax stove?

bubbathehut1994
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat

Post by bubbathehut1994 » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 2:24 pm

I keep going between keeping up with the stoker or getting a larger handfired unit. I really enjoy the look of the nice glow and the blue flames that come with a handfired unit and I stumbled upon a the antramax. With 48 hours of burn time I was excited to say the least and then after learning how their draft controller works I was really taken away and now I really would like to look into it. So I would like opinions and do you need to run a manual damper or just a baro on the unit?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 2:46 pm

Either---Or--- in this old farmers opinion!! :) Let the NOISE begin!!!! LOL

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 3:55 pm

It may go 48 hrs but will work a lot better tended every 12 hrs, or maybe 24 hrs sometimes in milder weather or when not pushed. Im including a link to the stove with specs. 650 pounds! Thats a beast! Holds 130 pounds, more/less. I'll leave the damper alone, Fred covered that, lol
https://dsofpa.com/wp-content/uploads/DS_Anthra-M ... b2_low.pdf

bubbathehut1994

Post by bubbathehut1994 » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 9:50 am

I know it seems like a beast but I have a 2100sqft two story home that is VERY drafty and very cold. Even with my keystoker 90 my upstairs is like 65ish and my kitchen and dining area are 60 when it is around 20 outside and this is with the thermostat set on 75 and door fans moving the air

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 10:16 am

I would imagine that 48 hours is idled down some. Also remember you have to deal with the ash, which is best done every 15 to 20 hours when pumping out a good amount heat. It looks like my 110 with a hopper and those numbers sound like what I get out of the stove. Your house sounds similar to mine and has no problems keeping up. If you really want warmth try a 160. That beast will boil you but it is also hungrier. If you live in a windy region get a baro set for high limit draft and an MPD to fine tune. That combine will save you a good amount of coal.

bubbathehut1994

Post by bubbathehut1994 » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 11:09 am

My issue too is that this unit is on the main floor of the home. I have an old masonry chimney downstairs but I had covered up all the registers when I did all the flooring in the home because the coal just wasn't doing it down there. The house is much better with the stoker on the main floor but is the DS110 or 160 too much of an eye sore in a living space. Maybe I should look into the air circulating units?

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 11:45 am

These are natural convection stoves that where originally intended to use a central hooded vent in a basement and additional ones for each floor above. Combined with drop box returns they will heat like a modern hot air system with no electric. The key is you have to have exposed joist or you must cut supply and returns. All this being said you would have to install in the basement. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but in all reality unless your willing to do the above, you'd have to deal with mid 80°+ temps in your first floor living space to reach 70° on the second floor. You mentioned air circulating. Do you have any duct work?

bubbathehut1994

Post by bubbathehut1994 » Sun. Jan. 16, 2022 3:00 pm

No I do not.
I plan to put in registers in the 2nd floor to help promote the circulation of the hot and cool air. Additionally the "attic" space is totally uninsulated. The 1st floor is now insulated and the 2nd floor might still be cellulose so it's not like the the whole house isnt insulated but I know I lost tons and tons of heat through the ceiling so as time goes on and rooms get renovated it will happen. I also want a handfired stove simply because I can have constant heat and not need the electric to power it. I feel like with my stoker I lose heat sometimes fast than it can build heat.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Oct. 14, 2023 10:03 pm

OK, Going from memory here. I believe the Anthamax has adjustable over fire air. In other words, you can close off the over fire air. So, no need for any damper (barometric or manual) in pipe. The Anthramax will run using only the bi-metallic thermostat. So lets say the over fire air was non-adjustable / always open. Then you would want a pipe damper installed in the pipe. Otherwise, the BTU's would be constantly riding the air currents of the over fire air, up, and out the chimney. The damper (barometric or manual) will hold the BTU's down in the stove, where it radiates into the living space. If burning strictly coal, I would recommend the barometric damper, as once set, you never have to monkey with it. If burning wood, you will want a manual pipe damper, not a barometric damper. A barometric damper will feed air to a chimney fire. Chimney fires are caused by a build up of creosote from burning wood. When conditions are right, the creosote could ignite.

Del
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II, DS Anthramax FP16 fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane

Post by Del » Mon. Oct. 30, 2023 3:57 pm

I just installed an anthramax fireplace insert a couple of weeks ago. Temps have been a little too warm to really try it out. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the 30s to low 40s. But fired it up this week anyway. No external damper of any type. Just a 5 foot section of pipe up through the fireplace damper and packed with rockwool insulation.
Stove fired up without a hitch with a few pieces of kindling. I have my Mano on the Harmon stove in the basement, so can give you any specifics, but seemed to draft really well.
I shook it down every 12 hours, more out of habit than need. Could easily of gone 24 hours, but since it’s a new stove, I didn’t know how ash bound it may get.
With an 1800 sqft ranch, temps in the 40s, I heated the whole house to mid 70s on a few pounds of coal per day (like didn’t even empty the little hopper every 12 hours).
So far I’m impressed, set the bimetallic damper to low and it’s maintained 200 degrees on the stove top with little fluctuation despite rain and wind.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 29, 2024 10:40 am

@Richard shouldn’t this be in the hand fed stove section?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”