Fisher coal boiler hand fed

Clay coal

Post by Clay coal » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Looking for info on a fisher coal burner I got when bought my house. What it worth ?
What model it is?

Attachments

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 7:59 pm

Clay thats a Wood Stove .

Clay coal

Post by Clay coal » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 8:42 pm

Ok they were burning coal in it so I assumed it was a coal stove

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 8:44 pm

Probably a couple hundred or less$$$$ in that condition, if someone was REALLY interested-- not much of a coal burner. Might be why they left it. SORRY!!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 9:31 pm

if its in a basement and you want it gone you might have to give it away. That would not be fun to move. If it were in a spot where it could be easily loaded I agree with Fred on price unless it cleans up real well, then a little more.

If you remove it yourself take every part you can off of it first to get it down to maybe 200-300 pounds. They were built like tanks.

OTR
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Crown Royal 7200 (OWB)

Post by OTR » Wed. Mar. 10, 2021 2:01 pm

Actually, guys, I'm pretty sure that is a Fisher Coal Bear, though all of the pictures of other versions I can find have a single top door instead of two. The grate mechanism is probably visible if you open the bottom door.

If you'd like more information, I recommend you post a thread over on hearth.com - here's the link to their Fisher Stove board: https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/fisher-stove-i ... d-more.28/

User "Coaly" is incredibly knowledgeable about Fisher stoves and will probably respond in a day or two with history, pictures, manuals, etc.

Edit: I am 99.9999% certain that this thing was not originally a boiler. I thought the thread title ("boiler") was a mistake, but I can actually see a big pipe going into the side. I can't imagine that worked all that well, and I'd bet that "bubba-ing" of the stove reduces its value to that of scrap.

As an aside, I did something sort of similar once: I put a water-to-air heat exchanger on the (external) back side of my Fisher Grandpa Bear and hooked it up as another zone in my baseboard heat. Not surprisingly, it was not very effective - it would heat my water to about 70 degrees or so at most, but all I was doing it for was to keep pipes from freezing, so that worked well enough.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 10, 2021 3:57 pm

I had a Poppa Bear for years & she was an outlandish wood stove--if ya can gussy that up & she looks good for coal--by God, have at it---she damn sure won't break!!! :)

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 10, 2021 4:57 pm

Coal bears are kinda rare. The only photos Ive seen the firebox is slanted in towards the grate some and I think theres a fancy design on the outside on the sides. The pics I saw the stove was narrower too. But who knows. Maybe this is a different design as it does have a bottom door, unlike most fishers.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 10:05 am

I know a guy that can tell us exactly what it is. Be right back...hopefully with him.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 10:10 am

OTR wrote:
Wed. Mar. 10, 2021 2:01 pm
Actually, guys, I'm pretty sure that is a Fisher Coal Bear, though all of the pictures of other versions I can find have a single top door instead of two. The grate mechanism is probably visible if you open the bottom door.

If you'd like more information, I recommend you post a thread over on hearth.com - here's the link to their Fisher Stove board: https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/fisher-stove-i ... d-more.28/

User "Coaly" is incredibly knowledgeable about Fisher stoves and will probably respond in a day or two with history, pictures, manuals, etc.

Edit: I am 99.9999% certain that this thing was not originally a boiler. I thought the thread title ("boiler") was a mistake, but I can actually see a big pipe going into the side. I can't imagine that worked all that well, and I'd bet that "bubba-ing" of the stove reduces its value to that of scrap.

As an aside, I did something sort of similar once: I put a water-to-air heat exchanger on the (external) back side of my Fisher Grandpa Bear and hooked it up as another zone in my baseboard heat. Not surprisingly, it was not very effective - it would heat my water to about 70 degrees or so at most, but all I was doing it for was to keep pipes from freezing, so that worked well enough.
Paul is a member here also. Not sure if it's a coal bear or not. If it is it's the first I've seen with two doors. I sent Paul a pm with the link to this thread.

I didn't study the pictures real well, but at a glance it didn't look converted to me. Perhaps it will look that way when I look again.

EDIT:
Does sort of look like a jury rigged wood stove to me.

Coaly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hopper Fed Hitzer EZ Flo
Baseburners & Antiques: Many, including most all Fisher models
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / hard
Other Heating: Kitchen Queen 480

Post by Coaly » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 11:14 am

Not a Coal Bear.
They are much more narrow with a single door top and bottom.
The firebox is not tapered in them, they have cast iron basket parts that set on a shelf to direct coal to the grates. The grates are 3 sided like triangular, smooth top for wood, vented sides for coal. They are called Reversible, two with gear type shaker mechanism front and center.

The doors should have a P or PB on the inside.
They are doors from a Polar Bear Zero Clearance Fireplace Insert. They were used as optional solid doors on the Honey Bear as well.

Does the ash fender (ash shelf below door opening) have a single whole drilled in each front corner of it? It looks like the formed ash fender from Honey Bear.

Those are the only two Fisher parts from what I can tell by the pictures. The door seal is the same 1 inch channel iron used by Fisher, but no gasket is required.

Is there a movable grate to shake? If this was built as a coal stove it would have an air intake below grate. Or possibly has an induction blower or intake into ash pan not shown?

Can't tell by the pictures if it is a boiler with water jacket, or by the insulation on top if it has an air plenum making it a furnace. If it has no movable grates and no under grate air, it is a wood stove made to scratch ash through the grate to dump. Not a good wood burner design, but the two intakes above the fire point in that direction.

There was a "Home Stove" but that should have a tag and different doors.

Fisher made no water heating or water heater accessories for their stoves. Most stoves made in Europe use a water back or had hydro added, but it was not factory.

Doors were highly protected, but could be sold by an unscrupulous fabricator buying them from Fisher. Fisher doors were cast for Fisher and sold to licensed fabricators so the company could keep track of what was being made for royalty payments. It looks like Fisher quality fabrication and welding. Where is this located? I can then tell you if it is near a Fisher fabricator shop that could have made it for someone, or even themselves.

Coaly

Post by Coaly » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 12:48 pm

solid door Colorado 1.jpg
.JPG | 180.4KB | solid door Colorado 1.jpg
This is a Honey Bear freestanding pedestal stove with solid door option. Notice the holes drilled in ash fender corners, those are your doors.
If your top is a step top, raised in the back, it is built from one of these.
Honey Bear 2 12-2013.jpg
.JPG | 35.3KB | Honey Bear 2 12-2013.jpg

If the top is flat, it was made from an insert. It could be a Honey Insert with solid doors, or Polar Bear Insert.
They both have an air slot across the top and air intake for circulation under the ash fender across the bottom. The rounded front corners look like a Fisher firebox made after 1980. It looks like an insert that has the angle iron welded up the sides to hold the homemade bottom on.
The Honey Bear Insert has a smaller opening across the top compared to a Polar Bear Insert.

The shape of the flue outlet would help identify it as well. Is it round or rectangular inside the firebox?

Here is a Honey Bear (Series III with glass) rectangular outlet;
Honey Bear Insert 1.JPG
.JPG | 352.3KB | Honey Bear Insert 1.JPG
Round Honey Bear outlet;
Honey Bear Insert Ohio 3.jpg
.JPG | 10.4KB | Honey Bear Insert Ohio 3.jpg
No adapter or pipe was made for the outlet in the 80's since these were made to use the existing fireplace chimney. A "Boot" would be attached to the top of the rectangular outlet connected to a liner today, or a liner would be direct connected to the round outlet for legal installation today. You may have something with the insulation wrap setting on top of the insert?

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 1:06 pm

Coaly, Do you have any pics of the Coal Bear? I remember the outside was decorative unless I have my memories wrong.

Coaly

Post by Coaly » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:25 pm

Coal Bear 2 11-10-12.jpg
.JPG | 71.3KB | Coal Bear 2 11-10-12.jpg
Coal Bear Lititz Pa 2.jpg
.JPG | 62.6KB | Coal Bear Lititz Pa 2.jpg
Coal Bear Painted 2.JPG
.JPG | 125.4KB | Coal Bear Painted 2.JPG
Complete Coal Bear 1.jpg
.JPG | 721.8KB | Complete Coal Bear 1.jpg
Coal Bear Grates Coal Position.jpg
.JPG | 406.3KB | Coal Bear Grates Coal Position.jpg
Coal Bear Grates Wood Position.jpg
.JPG | 410.8KB | Coal Bear Grates Wood Position.jpg
Fisher Coal Bear Ash Door.JPG
.JPG | 83KB | Fisher Coal Bear Ash Door.JPG
Coal Bear Gtates and Support.JPG
.JPG | 1016.4KB | Coal Bear Gtates and Support.JPG

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Thanks Coaly! Those are the best pics Ive ever seen of one of these and maybe the best on the web. Is the side decorated too or just flat metal? I was thinking it said Coal Bear on it somewhere. Looks like its built like a tank, like Fisher stuff always is.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”