Pics of My Boiler Cleaned up and My 3 Tons of Coal

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 8:02 am

Tow1380 wrote:Bob,

I recently bought a home in CT with the exact hydro fire boiler that you have. After seeing your pictures gave me the idea to replace all the fire bricks. I burned wood the first winter and had no problems. Over the summer I put in baseboard heat in my garage. This winter with some single degree days the boiler has a hard time keeping up. I switched to coal because of the higher heat value but I'm having a hard time keeping the coal burning all night. Not sure if you tried putting tape on the two holes on the front door. Not sure if that's my problem. If you have any tweaking ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Tom
Where are you in CT? Maybe a member could stop by and review your operation.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 3:27 am

Tow1380 wrote:Bob,

I recently bought a home in CT with the exact hydro fire boiler that you have. After seeing your pictures gave me the idea to replace all the fire bricks. I burned wood the first winter and had no problems. Over the summer I put in baseboard heat in my garage. This winter with some single degree days the boiler has a hard time keeping up. I switched to coal because of the higher heat value but I'm having a hard time keeping the coal burning all night. Not sure if you tried putting tape on the two holes on the front door. Not sure if that's my problem. If you have any tweaking ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Tom
Assuming you have a separate flue for each boiler if there is a history of burning wood the flue may be either sooted up or worse choked down with creosote. If you are sharing the same flue with the oil boiler besides being completely an illegal install to the point is ever a fire the insurance co. will not pay you, one can be stealing draft from the other or the flue too small for both killing draft.

Tow1380
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Hydro fire

Post by Tow1380 » Sun. Jan. 25, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks for the help. The boiler has its own flue. I cleaned the flue and stack this year. I was thinking it wasn't getting enough air. The dampening door is controlled by an aquastat. Not sure if this is the right application for coal. Works good for the wood. I live in Tolland CT. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”