Baro/draft fine tuning

Jlinde37
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Aquagem 3200
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Pea

Post by Jlinde37 » Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 8:25 pm

Since there's hardly any talk in this forum I'd like to start a convo on draft settings...

I love my DS3200 hand fed. I get 12 hrs between tendings. I have been burning for a year and a half at a .02 in. W.c. I've never lost a fire yet. I feel if I set baro to .04 it wastes so much heat out the chimney. The manual states minimum .06 w.c. I can only accomplish .06 if I hold baro closed as my chimney is only 15'

However sometimes if I do let my coal bed go a little longer between tending or havnt been home in say 15 or 16 hours and I shake
It down good leaving me a large amount to reload, I put a coat hanger in the baro for a half hour to get the most draft I can to aid in igniting the fresh coal.

My question is with holding baro shut and that full fresh bed ignited and baro held shut I am pulling the 'reccomended' .06w.c...The fire is strong however my water temps barely, I mean barely increase at all even with a roaring bed. Which leads me to believe all the heat goes out the chimney! I'd burn so much more coal burning at that draft setting it wouldn't be funny..
If I can keep it going at .02 is this better then? Meaning heat staying inside the boiler longer?

-Baro shut roaring fire water temp 140.
Barely any increase in water temp maybe 5° in an hour.
-baro set at .02 temp will rise from 140-185 in maybe 30-45 mins? stack temp right outside boiler is 212°

I hope this makes sense.
Last edited by Jlinde37 on Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jlinde37

Post by Jlinde37 » Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 8:29 pm

I guess my main question is there any possible way to make it any more efficient than it is? I burn roughly 30-40lbs a day mild temps never over 80lbs in really cold sub zero temps we get in Buffalo in February. Again heating 1800sq 2 story

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Makes perfect sense. -.06 for draft seems high to me. I work for a fuel oil service company. Most of the oil manufacturers suggest a draft of -.01 to -.02 over the fire and -.03 to -.04 in the stack. I know it is a different fuel, but same concept. I have seen a difference in stack temperature of 100 plus on a chimney that is pulling too much.

Jlinde37

Post by Jlinde37 » Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 9:11 pm

Difference being fuel doesn't rely on draft to stay lit. It would burn without any draft just be unsafe..The draft is what determines how hard the air is pulled through the bed.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 7:09 pm

I would say you're doing quite well. Keep doing what you are doing. I agree with Ziggy 87, same concept. Close the baro when refueling for faster ignition, and let it go back to -.02 afterwards.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 8:41 pm

Jlinde37 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 9:11 pm
Difference being fuel doesn't rely on draft to stay lit.
True, the fuel bed can pull it's own combustion air up thru without the aid of the chimney, enough to stay lit, but won't produce much heat.
Jlinde37 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 9:11 pm
The draft is what determines how hard the air is pulled through the bed.
The draft is the force that brings in combustion air. The amount of combustion air that comes in is determined by the size opening that it's being pulled thru. So, you can still have a strong draft without much air going thru the fuel bed just by closing the primary air control.
Jlinde37 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 8:25 pm
I feel if I set baro to .04 it wastes so much heat out the chimney.
Heat needs a vehicle to ride on to get out of the stove. That vehicle would be air, mainly nitrogen since the combustion air is 80% nitrogen. Nitrogen doesn't react much (if at all) with the coal. It just rides on thru, gets heated and takes that heat with it out of the stove once it is pushed out by more incoming combustion air. The best efficiency will come when the highest percentage of available oxygen is used for combustion. It really doesn't matter at what pressure that happens, UNLESS there is unregulated leakage above the fire.
Jlinde37 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 27, 2021 8:25 pm
Baro shut roaring fire water temp 140.
Barely any increase in water temp maybe 5° in an hour.
-baro set at .02 temp will rise from 140-185 in maybe 30-45 mins? stack temp right outside boiler is 212°
A fresh batch of coal will take some time to reach it's peak combustion efficiency (best use of oxygen) Do some unbiased observations, take notes and trial many times. Try closing the baro midway thru a burn cycle and see how it responds. Sometimes it's difficult not to manufacture the result that you are looking for.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 8:58 pm

Have said this before but will say it again...
Manufacturers Recommended draft numbers means... I must worry about my liability for operator error more so than you the stove operator to saving fuel...

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 10:01 pm

What impact does lower draft have on stove temp? It seems like when I try to minimize draft stove temp plummets.

Jlinde37

Post by Jlinde37 » Fri. Jan. 29, 2021 7:54 am

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 8:41 pm
A fresh batch of coal will take some time to reach it's peak combustion efficiency (best use of oxygen) Do some unbiased observations, take notes and trial many times. Try closing the baro midway thru a burn cycle and see how it responds. Sometimes it's difficult not to manufacture the result that you are looking for.
Lightning, These are all great responses.. I was referring to the heat transferring to the with different baro settings AFTER the bed was fully ignited. Your saying hold it closed or set it at say .06 after it's fully ignited? But when boiler water temp has fallen and not idling at 180°. The water doent seem to heat up nearly as fast like I said when I have higher draft conditions. But I will give it a try tonight. Will be good draft tonight with lows around 0°F.

Not sure sure i understand your statement:
"Sometimes it's difficult not to manufacture the result that you are looking for."
Last edited by Jlinde37 on Fri. Jan. 29, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jlinde37

Post by Jlinde37 » Fri. Jan. 29, 2021 7:58 am

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 8:58 pm
Have said this before but will say it again...
Manufacturers Recommended draft numbers means... I must worry about my liability for operator error more so than you the stove operator to saving fuel...
Your saying that .06 is too high because manufacturs are covering their own A$$ Exactly my thoughts.

Jlinde37

Post by Jlinde37 » Fri. Jan. 29, 2021 8:00 am

fig wrote:
Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 10:01 pm
What impact does lower draft have on stove temp? It seems like when I try to minimize draft stove temp plummets.
I'm talking boiler not stove. Heating water around the firebox not air in the surrounding room.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 10:08 am

fig wrote:
Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 10:01 pm
What impact does lower draft have on stove temp?
It seems like when I try to minimize draft stove temp plummets.
Lower draft (negative pressure gradient) reduces the amount of combustion air entering the fire box as the damper stays open longer allowing the air to bypass the fire box blower and enter the chimney.

Is your barometric damper weight in the right slot and pushed all the way to the right and locked???? it should be this way.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 10:46 am

Yeh it works fine. I was just wondering how to raise stove temps while minimizing draft.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 2:04 pm

The LIMIT is -.06, this has nothing to do with your normal operation being below that. You need enough draft to keep your appliance operating properly, nothing more. Over the limit and you begin to assume risks, whatever they may be.

Jlinde37

Post by Jlinde37 » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 2:46 pm

My brand new field control rc 6 set in the correct slot on the left (Horizontal) locked at the lowest draft setting (according to the number on the baro is says it shoukd be 0.02) My Dwyer mark ii perfectly calibrated is reading .03-.04 right at the boiler breach. I added a small washer behind the weight to add more weight to get to get the baro to stay open to get a .02 setting.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”