H s tarm ?

Rick211
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H s tarm 303

Post by Rick211 » Sun. Nov. 01, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum or any forums for that mater. I own an old farm house from 1800's and have been burning w wood and pellets for years. Have not bought oil for 20 years. I have disconnected my old steam boiler and installed a tarm 303 with an indirect coil which my father had used for two years and been sitting in my barn for 20 yrs. I reseated all flanges and drilled and tapped 6 radiators to add return/vents. Then added 3 cast iron radiators for proper coverage of heat distributions. I fabricated a 2" welded s/r header for home runs with pex tubing to each radiator. I then put a thermostatic radiant valve on each radiator to keep it simple. I also fabricated a 1 1/4" welded s/r header w 4 loops of radiant heat used w transfer plates stapled between floor joist in kitchen and living room. Just finished pressure testing everything and after fixing a couple of leaks with wicker on the radiators finally ready or connect the headers to the boiler. I could use some suggestions on the best piping schematic. I have 3 circulators and the old components from the original piping when it was used as an add on. I also added a unit heater in the basement to supplement in case the radiant heat isn't addaquate or to add a place for a dump zone or temp heat if power goes out. I'm wondering if I should add a storage tank to prevent overheating since I used self contained valves on the radiators (donfoss 1/2" trv). I wanted to eliminate thermostats and wiring. The house is 3400sq w 5 br. colonial with 2 story ell. I'm contemplating separate loops to each header to keep it simple or combine piping for everything. I sure would appreciate piping schematics on best way to proceed. Thanks rick

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Nov. 04, 2020 8:32 am

Welcome. How many zones do you want? A simple boiler header with 1.5" piping and a circulator for each zone sounds like the way to go. Generally you need at least one thermostat, unless you want the circulator to run all the time - in which case you need to pipe a bypass so it doesn't dead-head, or you need to use a variable speed circulator.

Rick211

Post by Rick211 » Wed. Nov. 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of a bypass. I read somewhere you need to have a circulator running when the boiler is in operation at all times. I have 3 circulators and one has three speeds. I attached a piping schematic I'm going to use a starting block with a few changes such as a bypass to prevent dead head and a tee with a automatic safty 200 degree limit switch that could dump into a large unit heater or storage tank filled with cool water that could circulate threw the boiler to cool it down. I have 6 large old cast iron radiators and a seven and 3 foot cast iron radiators piped up pluse about 1000 ft of 1/2 pex tubing run for my radiant heat and home run or all the radiators and the water in a tarm 303 so I'm leaning toward a 10 gal bladder/expansion tank.

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 698.9KB | image.jpeg

Rick211

Post by Rick211 » Wed. Nov. 04, 2020 7:52 pm

Another piece I got on a demo job was a decent size plate exchanger I might be able to add into the mix if needed

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”