DS # 151?

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Thu. Dec. 19, 2019 6:39 am

Okay... first off, everything is jake with the Chubby. It heats this 800 sq ft, fairly well insulated second home, in the dead of winter, in northern Maine, just fine.

I'm finally getting around to finishing the hydronic heating system and I'm considering the heat source to install in the basement. Anthracite at $250 - $350 a ton seems to me to be the most economical fuel but I could go with oil or even propane. We use the place no more than four or five weeks through winter.

I'm leaning towards a coal boiler with a small appetite (about like the Chubby) that needs tending no more than twice a day and that's led me to a new DS 151.

Jlinde37
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Aquagem 3200
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Pea

Post by Jlinde37 » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Is it radiant or hwbb? Why not a ds1100 for future additions? Not sure what the grates are like in the 1100 but I have a ds3200 heating a 1760Sq ft home with 1/3 firebox reduced with domestic. She idles along nicely most of the time. I burn about 30# and only tend once a day. I love my aquagem!

keegs

Post by keegs » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback Jinde37. This is a small seasonal res and I don't plan to change the footprint. The house and garage have been a work in progress for about 8 years. I'm finally getting around to the primary (hydronic) heating system. I'm going to run it with glycol and I'm leaning toward using coal. I'd like something economical that maybe throws off some radiant heat into the basement. When we get up there in winter it can take eight- ten hours or more to warm the place up with the Chubby. If I get it right I think a whole house system will heat the place up a bit quicker than that. I'd like something as economical as the Chubby to operate. Like the choice of fuel I'm not wedded to the heat source. Right now in addition to the DS line I'm looking at a used WC-90, a Chappee and even an Axeman 130. The 1100 is probably a good fit too.

In terms of price, operating cost and installation the DS 151 would seem to be ideal that is if it's capable of doing the job.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Keegs, ifn the place is only 800 sq/ft & the chubby is doing just fine, then why a hydronic system? especially ifn you're only using it occasionally. However the 151 is merely a domestic heater & you would need a more serious unit.
JIm

keegs

Post by keegs » Sat. Dec. 21, 2019 6:42 am

coalder wrote:
Fri. Dec. 20, 2019 9:22 pm
Keegs, ifn the place is only 800 sq/ft & the chubby is doing just fine, then why a hydronic system? especially ifn you're only using it occasionally. However the 151 is merely a domestic heater & you would need a more serious unit.
JIm
Thanks Jim.

I think a house with a central heating system is worth more and if I kick the bucket would likely be easier for the Mrs. to sell. I might even see a reduction in my insurance premiums. The 151 is rated at 55k BTUs and for the zone we're in, a house that size should need a 40-50k BTU heat source. But I am concerned. The next unit up in capacity is the #1530 at 73k BTUs which might be a better choice but adds $500 to the price

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”