Van Wert/EFM Dual Fuel Efficiency

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Tue. Jul. 30, 2019 9:27 pm

My biggest issue is I only have one flue.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jul. 31, 2019 6:29 am

You can power vent the oil boiler, swap the flue pipes over as necessary, or hook both boilers into the same flue. Options 1 and 2 are code compliant, option 3 is not. Depends what you want out of the system and what you are comfortable with.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Jul. 31, 2019 9:50 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Jul. 31, 2019 6:29 am
You can power vent the oil boiler, swap the flue pipes over as necessary, or hook both boilers into the same flue. Options 1 and 2 are code compliant, option 3 is not. Depends what you want out of the system and what you are comfortable with.
Personally I have no issue with option 3. Especially if both boilers are stamped an UL listed. That being said, if anything ever happened the insurance company might use it to screw me. Technically both boiler would not be running/using the flue at the same time. Coal is better for a clay flue anyhow.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jul. 31, 2019 10:33 am

ASea wrote:
Wed. Jul. 31, 2019 9:50 am
Personally I have no issue with option 3. Especially if both boilers are stamped an UL listed. That being said, if anything ever happened the insurance company might use it to screw me. Technically both boilers would not be running/using the flue at the same time. Coal is better for a clay flue anyhow.
Me either, but some people get cranked up over it. It is acceptable to hook two oil boilers into a common flue, but as soon as one of them gets a stoker under it...it is against code. If the flue does not have enough capacity to support two boilers running at the same time, you could setup the controls to only run one or the other.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jul. 31, 2019 11:12 am

For a back-up boiler and having a lack of floor space and lack of second flue, a wall mounted compact electric boiler can be a real winner...it generally will seldom ever need to run and has little upkeep and best of all is ventless while dormant or while in use and change over can be a flip of a switch..

rwh142
Stoker Coal Boiler: van wert anthratherm
Coal Size/Type: buckwheat
Other Heating: oil (combined system)

Post by rwh142 » Wed. Oct. 16, 2019 9:26 pm

I have a combined system. Baseboard water with a Van Wert anthratherm furnace and an oil furnace. I have only had this home for a year but for the summer I shut down the coal furnace and switched over to oil for the summer. In the process now of starting up the coal furnace for the winter pa months. I filled the oil tank once for the year and about 6 tons of coal for last winter.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 16, 2019 10:18 pm

rwh142 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 16, 2019 9:26 pm
I have a combined system. Baseboard water with a Van Wert anthratherm furnace and an oil furnace. I have only had this home for a year but for the summer I shut down the coal furnace and switched over to oil for the summer. In the process now of starting up the coal furnace for the winter pa months. I filled the oil tank once for the year and about 6 tons of coal for last winter.
Welcome.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”