Hand Fed Coal Stove: Equator
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Economy
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Pea,Chesnut

Post by wayne chace » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 8:22 pm

wayne chace wrote:I have two used units avalible
in the manual feed boiler section

thetaspica

Post by thetaspica » Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 5:52 am

Thank you Stokerman! A nice new WCB-24 is sitting in my garage and will be traveling to the basement before long. My wife likes the color. So do I.

Attachments

CIMGWCB-24.JPG
.JPG | 394.6KB | CIMGWCB-24.JPG

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 6:15 am

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

By the way. To those following this thread, the new wood/coal boilers are now available.

Rampant Lion
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman sf160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MKll

Post by Rampant Lion » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 11:23 pm

You say that they are now available, simply contact a dealer with an inquiry, or do I have to contact the number listed on the company website? I like the simplicity of the unit.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 5:40 am

You can call and talk to me at efm.

glenn harris

Post by glenn harris » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 9:48 am

I have one in great condition for sale. $1500. Have it listed in "Items for Sale" section!

Glenn

570 688-7888

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 2:17 am

how about a simple feature that would cost very little, yet add a measure of convenience; where the sides slope to the ashpan, put a lip in so that the edges of the ash pan are about 1/2" under this lip, thus preventing ash from continually being deposited around the ashpan, ash going on the floor everytime one removes the ashpan etc.

as far as bit coal goes, as long as it has an easy access door or port to any fire passages within the boiler to periodically brush soot it should be fine. bit coal won't hurt the firebrick etc. any more than anthracite, any additional sulfur content is insignificant; all coal has sulfur, a few extra percentage points won't make a bit of difference as far as corrosion goes.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 4:52 am

I haven't used the newer 3-grate model, but on my older 2-grate model, there is no problem with the ash spilling over the sides of the pan. The fire door is plenty large to easily brush the inside surfaces of the boiler.

TLCGrapes127

Post by TLCGrapes127 » Wed. Nov. 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Stoker-man, I have a question about the EFM WCF-24 produced a while back . I have just determined that the firebox on my EFM WCF-24 has a crack plus a lot of warping. I have decided to replace the unit and not take a chance on getting the crack welded. I got good service from the WCF-24 and would buy that product again (I bought mine in 1992 and used it as the primary heat source for a 2200 sq ft house). However, EFM doesn't make the WCF-24, and I can't quite see using the WCB-24, so I'm probably going to another manufacturer. I talked to someone at EFM today and got good information, but I have a question still: Do you know the gauge of the metal for the firebox?

In looking at wood furnaces, I see warranties of 5 years. Is this industry standard? [I got 17 years from the EFM, should I expect that from a new unit that is warranted for 5 years?]

I also see some wood furnances that are rated at 120,000 BTUs (or more). I believe the WCF-24 was 60,000 BTU and I ran it pretty low much of the day (I'm sure the firebox warping occured during the the other portions of the day!). Any opinion on whether these 120000 BTU units can be run well at a much reduced output? (by 'well', I mean stay lit, produce low cresote, and low smoke).

Thanks for any info.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Wed. Nov. 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I think you talked with stokerman today. I'll run the question about sheet metal gauge by him tomorrow.

AHS makes wood gasification equipment but I don't know if they make furnaces. That supposedly produces low smoke and creosote.

TLCGrapes127

Post by TLCGrapes127 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 6:43 am

I'm interested in the thickness of the metal firebox, not the sheetmetal surrounding the firebox. Thanks for your help.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 11:56 am

12 ga. steel was used for the firebox

TLCGrapes127

Post by TLCGrapes127 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks for all your info and suggestions. [I'm not sure if the person I talked to yesterday is you but you were "both" helpful.]

mark
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: WCB24
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil Boiler in Basement

Post by mark » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 10:53 am

Stokerman, I have the exact unit and setup. Problem is I cant keep coal burning after 3-4 days. Obviously a draft issue, but not sure how to fix. I'm throwing away half the coal and constantly jamming the grates. I need to get the coal burning from the bottom up instead of top layer only. Any suggestions?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 11:14 am

I set the grates so they are partially open. I gave up trying to shake them. Get yourself a 1/2" steel water pipe about 4 feet long. Use the pipe to poke through the ashes and through the open grate, then use the door opening as a fulcrum and lift up the pile, moving the pipe back and front. Since the hard clinker tends to block the grate, I usually have to keep ramming until I get through the grate and then it's just a matter of lifting the pile and letting most of the ash fall through to the pan.

That way the ash pile is only a few inches deep. If it looks like the coal bed is glowing red, but is pretty much spent, I throw a few pieces of pallet wood on top of it and then a few shovels on either side, but leave the middle slightly uncovered so that air can come up through it. It always works.

If the fire goes out, I always use three pieces of pallet wood to start a wood fire and then put coal on as described above. Using fire starters that I make myself out of wax and planer chips, it takes less than 2 minutes to build a wood fire, pile on the coal, and go back inside to get my cup of coffee out of the microwave.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”