Harman Magnafire coal insert

JBS
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire insert
Coal Size/Type: Hard Nut
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by JBS » Sat. Feb. 24, 2018 1:03 pm

I have a Harman Magnafire coal insert I bought in Red Lion PA right around 1987. It's the predecessor to the Elite model with two blowers, mine has a single blower on the right (as your viewing it from the front). Any chance someone in the forum owns one from the same era? When I moved I must have lost the owner’s manual and would like to have a copy for reference. I need to do some maintenance this spring. I found the Elite manual in PDF format but nothing on my stove. If so, any change I could get you to copy your manual? I'll reimburse you for your costs, Thanks in advance - JBS

Fat King Coal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Elite insert
Coal Size/Type: Pea, nut, stove
Other Heating: Pellet insert- Kozi Baywin insert

Post by Fat King Coal » Mon. Sep. 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Hello, im a newer member in central PA. Been gaining knowledge here for a few years during house hunting because i knew i wanted a stove, but joined only last winter near Feb when i finally scored a Harman Magnafire Elite for $125 😎🤔. So i kept the Baywin pellet insert that came with the "new" house over the winter and have been working on the Elite between other fun summer projects like flash floods and uh,non flash floods. Well, now leaves are starting to fall and its getting to be that time to finish her up. The thing is, why im posting and not answering your question, i think mine is an early predecessor too. it still has the Mark III Stove round chimney hole in the center, above the baffle and below the outer heat jacket but its plugged up frm the factory. It has no model plate with # or ceramic tile holders, but does have blowers on both sides and the top wing assembly. I cleaned and polished the ash door over the winter, it's gorgeous. Now i just need a few minor exterior welds, a new baffle installed, replace the middle warped grate, and find an oval to round adapter and I'm good to start my maiden year of coal. My first year of pellets was infuriating, but an 04 stove with minimal maintenance now burning full time for the first time in its life in 2017, and by a rookie, is gonna need major parts replaced. Either way, i will need info or a plate for my insurance even if i just switch stoves because THEY want to come inspect if i swap inserts. It will look beautiful and like its suppose to in a large brick hearth, but no model number or UL stamp might be an issue. So i wanted to maybe get your answers and mine if i comment and maybe some more experienced people see us needing info will comment.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Sep. 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Welcome to the forum, both of you.

Be'in that this is the Hand Fired Boiler section, you won't get much traction. I'll move this post over to the Hand Fired Stove section where you should have better luck.

-Don

JBS

Post by JBS » Fri. Sep. 21, 2018 9:31 am

Thank you Don!

JBS

Post by JBS » Fri. Sep. 21, 2018 9:42 am

Fat King Coal,
Your Elite came out some time after my model, it has a twin blower & an access "door" in the rear of the stove to set-up the direct connection, mine doesn't have this. I only realized this after using my Harman for 30+ years that I should have a direct connection to meet current codes. This came up when I went to price home owners insurance at a different insurance company. So I'm also looking for opinions that some individuals can provide.

JBS

Fat King Coal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Elite insert
Coal Size/Type: Pea, nut, stove
Other Heating: Pellet insert- Kozi Baywin insert

Post by Fat King Coal » Mon. Sep. 24, 2018 10:50 am

Yeah i saw that after i posted, i saw the fan down on the right but thought i saw two, sorry. I found some companies offering them, but they don't reply to emails. Sorry Don, i was coming to start a new post today, but wanted to reply here first. Thanks.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”