coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 4:14 am

WOW M, nicely done. Stop it, you're giving me ideas. :D

In the summer the barn uses a LOT of hot water (Api to Oct) and the propain bills are getting stupid. However, to much tending time will probably make it not worth it and there are simpler solutions. Solar hot water worked well. Similarly the thermosiphon idea but it's fun to think about it.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 6:34 am

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 8:45 pm
Got this small bucket A day water heater plus the tank for $125.00

Bucket A Day.jpgBucket A Day_1.jpgBucket A Day_2.jpg
Morning Mac,

Are there operator / installation manuals around anywhere for these old dogs?

The Peerless has what looks to be 3/4" plugged fittings on either side of the top of the boiler. Not sure (can't see in your image) if the BAD has those as well. Any idea what those two fittings on the Peerless are for? I'm thinkin supply and return.

How is it tending the BAD? Any issues? Is it meant to burn 24/7? What kind of burn times are you getting?

This Peerless measures about 29" high and 19" wide.

Nice tinkering BTW. I'm feeling the love.

Chris K.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 4:11 pm

keegs wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 6:34 am
Morning Mac,

Are there operator / installation manuals around anywhere for these old dogs? Not that I know of.

The Peerless has what looks to be 3/4" plugged fittings on either side of the top of the boiler. Not sure (can't see in your image) if the BAD has those as well. Any idea what those two fittings on the Peerless are for? I'm thinkin supply and return.

The one you show is wayy bigger than mine, so that may be why it has or needs a set with 2 supply's and returns.

How is it tending the BAD? Any issues? Is it meant to burn 24/7? What kind of burn times are you getting?

As w/ every coal appliance, if you control the air you control the burn, if it is sloppy air you have sloppy control.
It is possible under careful management to hold a fire over night and burn 24/7, but learning curve here.

This Peerless measures about 29" high and 19" wide.

Got here 21" H and 12"W...Grate is not over 10" Dia. And the Return port comes in horizontal at rear low in center under flue collar.

Nice tinkering BTW. I'm feeling the love.

Chris K.
For these I must say, all Boiler rules apply, as well all coal burning rules apply...these are NOT Toys. ;)
My tests were all my using a pump so far. Sometime later I will give thermosiphon a try too. :)
And don't put too much Good Money towards one of these because they can NOT compare to a whole house coal boiler as for/to efficiency and ease of operation. But with all rules applied they CAN heat some water.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 4:56 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 4:11 pm
For these I must say, all Boiler rules apply, as well all coal burning rules apply...these are NOT Toys. ;)
My tests were all my using a pump so far. Sometime later I will give thermosiphon a try too. :)
And don't put too much Good Money towards one of these because they can NOT compare to a whole house coal boiler as for/to efficiency and ease of operation. But with all rules applied they CAN heat some water.
Yeah....a whole house boiler would be nice ... maybe something with a hopper.
It's tough getting bulk coal in Maine though but bagged is probably still cheaper than oil.
I'm on the fence whether to install central heat. This is a second home and we don't
spend that much time there in winter.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”