Chappee Boiler

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Thu. Jan. 04, 2018 11:47 pm

Curious about Chappee boilers. My coal guy has one and seems to really like it. I'd love to hear from somebody who owns one or knows of one for sale. Thanks

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 5:45 am

I sold one to my father in law. Hand fed and did it's job well once dialed in. I want to say 130K Btu but not positive on that. May even be for sale in the spring as he's moved to another house out in the country. I bought it to use then found my AA and the rest is history.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 6:20 am

I have heard they work pretty well for coal, but they load up with creosote when burning wood.

My $0.02 is keep a stove for your desire to hand-fire. If you want a boiler, get a stoker.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 8:43 am

X2 with rob..

I’ve ran a hand fed stove, ran a base burner, ran a hand fed furnace, ran a hand fed boiler, boy there is nothing like a stoker! I get the itch every now and then to tend a hand fed and play with fire lol but I also enjoy tending the boiler once every 5-7 days.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks guys. I think budget is more my concern than anything. Stoker or even a new hand fed may be out of my price range

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:00 am

Well, if you don't have a couple grand to put into the project, you probably won't be installing a boiler of any kind. The cost of fittings, pipe, and accessories adds up fast...and that part of the project costs the same if you go hand fed, or stoker.

The sooner you figure out what you want to do, the sooner you will know how much $ you need for the project. I suggest starting a thread about your heating needs with some pictures of the existing system, so we can see what it will take to tie in a second boiler.

ASea

Post by ASea » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:05 am

I was going to consult my boiler repairman when he comes out to service my oil burner. Not a bad idea to take pictures and start a thread. Thanks!

Seems to me the major cost is labor. Unless I decide to do it myself which isn't out of the question.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 10:00 am
The cost of fittings, pipe, and accessories adds up fast...and that part of the project costs the same if you go hand fed, or stoker.
That is an excellent point that no one ever talks about. If you hunt the Scranton craigslist constantly, you will find a stoker boiler that is in good usable condition for under $1000. Buying all the plumbing pieces, pipe, valves, unions, pumps and controls is where it gets really expensive.

Like Rob said, the plumbing will cost the same if it's hand fired or automatic feed.

Something to think about.

-Don

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”