in need of all the input i can get about a boiler

BodyshopPat
Stoker Coal Boiler: S260 COALGUN-(thanks Dave1234)
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yorker WC-130/on rice/80gal storage
Hand Fed Coal Stove: THERMO-PRIDE WC 27-- 1980 MODEL
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified CLAYTON 1802G WITH STAINLESS COILS
Coal Size/Type: PEA AND RICE -LUMP SLACK AND VARIOUS SIZES OF BITUMINOUS
Other Heating: RINNAI TANKLESS LP - AND HEAT PUMP

Post by BodyshopPat » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 10:58 am

I have been off for the last week and have spent probably way over 100 hrs searching and reading about boilers, I built a 5000 sq foot home on one level and we moved in about 3 years ago. Its kind of a different home, I will explain my situation, When I was about 54 the wife and I decided if we were going to build another home we had better be getting on with it, so we did, I am on the pay as you go plan and did hire the block work and some of the concrete work done, buy mostly me and two or three workers did the build. Its 105x53 12'' block home with a 2x6 framed wall structure inside of the block, it has r10 foam on inside of blocks, and then r 19 in the 2x6 wall, we have decent thermal pane windows. The home is all 5/8 drywall and R 30 in the attic. I put down 1 inch foamboard and sealed the seams with aluminum tape, then put down 1/4 inch foil backed bubble wrap before laying the radiant pipe. The pipe was blueprinted and we went by the kit I bought and it worked out great, the blue ridge company supplied the kit.I thought I was going to heat this with a tankless water heater and not have to mess with wood or coal again in my home but in 31 days when we moved in I blew thru 400 gallon of propane.......and the saga began...I bought a clayton 1802 g ( the largest one) and put two large waffle shaped stainless water coils in it and it does decent, but after three years I feel I need the floors to get 120 or 130 constant heat to really work good. I have been researching boilers, and I don't have stoker coal available so I have to go with handfed type,,, I have looked at outside stoves, but I don't want to go outside at my age, I like to be inside fixing my fire.. my living area is 3500 and my garage is 1500. I have the pipe in the floor in garage but am not using it as my unit will not do that side too, it struggles to do the 3500 and when it dips low, like in the teens I will cycle the Rinnai and we also will use the heatpump some,,, I feel I need a boiler with lots of backup water storage like a garn but I want to burn coal and some wood, but not all wood... I am new to the forum and am so glad to find the coal pail forum, want to buy a boiler but not sure what good ones are out there,, looked hard at a heather,,, but have not decided on any particular one... thanks in advance for all of your comments,, pat... I forgot to tell you that I live in south central wv,,, -2 here this morning.
Last edited by BodyshopPat on Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 11:01 am

We need to know more about what kind of coal you have available.

BodyshopPat

Post by BodyshopPat » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 11:06 am

The last coal I got was about golfball size and not hard at all, ,, its not got a lot of gas nor heat but works decent, I can get hard coal, in large lumps,, I guess what I get is bituminous and not anthracite,, most of the coal that people haul around here is off of a strip mines and not deep mines.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:23 pm

Could you take delivery of a tractor trailer load of bulk or bagged coal? If you can - install an anthracite stoker boiler and be done with it. No smoke, no creosote, lots of savings, and you would not need to check it more than once per day.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 1:54 pm

True Story From Rob ! Happy New Year And Welcome To "Der Coal Forum !

BodyshopPat

Post by BodyshopPat » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:10 pm

I had wondered what that would cost,, I know it costs to ship stuff but I might find someone who I could split a load with, how many tons would that be about? and how many would you think I would use in a season? I supposed I could drive to pa to get it if it was a savings and truly the way to go, I think a stoker would be neat, I have a new chimney and that's not a problem,, actually 2 flues, both about 12 x18 retangles. I have a dually and a 10k flatbed trailer,, where do you think the closest place would be I could buy the coal you are talking about>?
thanks guys,,

BodyshopPat

Post by BodyshopPat » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:12 pm

which stoker would be the one to go with if I went this route?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:21 pm

BodyshopPat wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:10 pm
I had wondered what that would cost,, I know it costs to ship stuff but I might find someone who I could split a load with, how many tons would that be about? and how many would you think I would use in a season? I supposed I could drive to pa to get it if it was a savings and truly the way to go, I think a stoker would be neat, I have a new chimney and that's not a problem,, actually 2 flues, both about 12 x18 retangles. I have a dually and a 10k flatbed trailer,, where do you think the closest place would be I could buy the coal you are talking about>?
thanks guys,,
22 tons for TT load.

Just a guess, maybe not less than 5+ tons.

Some coal breakers are generally speaking up off I-81 north of I-76 in eastern PA

About $170.00 or better per ton for Bulk loaded at the breaker depending on time of year.
Bagged is at a premium higher price per ton, prices vary.
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:27 pm

BodyshopPat wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Which is the best pickup truck? ;) That's a HOT Potato to touch. :lol:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:31 pm

BodyshopPat wrote:
Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 3:12 pm
It depends what your requirements are. If you don't care what size coal it burns, how tall it is, or how the coal feeds, nearly any manufacture stoker boiler will work. You need to figure out how much of a load will be put on the boiler, so you can determine the minimum size you need.

Generally speaking, the way the boiler is installed makes a lot more difference than what color it is.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 4:08 pm

Buying by the tractor trailer load is the smartest way I think if u can swing the upfront cost. I’m a little over 400 miles north of lehigh valley PA, bought from Lehigh Anthracite, and I paid 170 per ton, the load was 23.6 ton, bulk around me cost 275 per ton. No brainer for me.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 6:22 pm

IIRC the Mayor's rule of thumb for annual burn is 5 tons for each 2000 sf of heated living space. Even with the new construction, that would suggest you'd be looking at 10-12 tons/year (assuming no wood), which is about half of a TL.

Mike

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 9:30 pm

It doesn't seem to me like you have much insulation under the pipe under the floor. How many btu's is your propane system?

David

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Another often overlooked issue w/ radiant concrete floor heat is you want the t'stat embedded in the concrete slab...never on wall in open air...another reason that ungodly amounts of fuel are consumed. :baby:

Seen where one system they had the t'stat mounted on a thick concrete block wall at 60" above floor and couldn't figure out why it used so much fuel. :roll:

The idea is to only heat the concrete floor mass...NOT the air and the wall mass...They get heated only passively and that is were the economy lies. :yes:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”