DS or EFM hand fired

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 5:37 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 17, 2017 9:23 am
I’ve ran a,
hand fed hot air furnace,
Antique base burner with magazine,
Hand fed little Franco belge,
Hand fed boiler,
And now stoker boiler.

If you’ve got nothing to do all winter, don’t have crazy hours at work, are home every 12 hours, and like playing with fire and “tinkering” and want no electrical need, then put in a hopper fed bi metallic controlled stove in the center of the house, or center of basement, and enjoy the wonders of coal!

or Enjoy the wonders of coal like I do, heat my downstairs and upstairs, and domestic water, and put coal in and empty my ash tub once a week.

Hahahahahahaha my job meets those requirements and then some, plus I have three side jobs that require me on a regular basis, and I’m rebuilding a 1943 Aeronca O58B ..... I’ll always have 15-20 minutes to service my stove ....

It’s all about what your into, no one way is better than another.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 5:50 pm

Something else to keep in mind is how much of the "other fuels" you are willing to use in addition to coal. This is not a big concern for a house with 1 or 2 people in it, but for a larger home with 4 or more people the math really starts to favor something that can produce domestic hot water, and be used in the shoulder seasons.

To give you an example, before I bought my home it had a family of 6 living here. They used the oil boiler to produce DHW, and heat in the spring and fall. They used a wood boiler in the winter as the main source of heat, but avoided running it in mild weather (so it would not load up with creosote). Not only did they burn a lot of wood in the winter, they also burned 400-500 gallons of heating oil per year. :eh:

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 6:18 pm

scalabro wrote:
Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 5:37 pm
I’ll always have 15-20 minutes to service my stove ....

It’s all about what your into, no one way is better than another.
Congratulations!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”