EFM Hand Fired Coal Boiler

firewoodman

Post by firewoodman » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 9:23 am

Looking at a used efm hand fired boiler.. what kind of burn times are you folks getting between feeding? Also, I want to install in my shop and tie in to my existing boiler...is the manufactured inground pex worth the cost or can one carefully build their own well insulated line....@10 bucks+ per foot that can get pretty costly...but so can heating the outside ground..lol

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 10:47 am

In my opinion, the underground PEX is never a good idea. You are always going to loose some heat into the ground, especially if your plan is to run the pump 24/7 like the outdoor wood boiler people do. It's a better idea to have the boiler inside the building your going to heat.

That being said, A lot of people put boilers in outbuildings with varying results. The better insulated the pipe is, the better your install will work. Making your own insulated pipe can get expensive to. Thermopex is one of the best out there. http://www.badger-pipe.com/ is less expensive but may not be as well insulated.

Don't even think about the 1" stuff unless your house is very small and very well insulated. Work the equations and do the math so you KNOW what size pipe you need. Neglecting this step is a recipe for disaster. Remember, 1" PEX is only 7/8" ID. The crimp on connections for 1" PEX are only 3/4" ID. Normally, you can only push about 70,000BTU's through the 1" stuff, without resorting to extraordinary measures.

-Don
Last edited by StokerDon on Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 11:30 am

Plan on a 12 hour reload schedule with any hand-fed boiler. To Don's point - you need well insulated piping underground, and you don't want the piping in wet soil.

I don't understand why you want a hand-fed if you already have an Axeman Anderson stoker?

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Sun. Apr. 09, 2017 8:17 am

The top notch manufacdtured underground uponor Pex is very good stuff.............. that why it is so expensive. I have made my own 1.5 inch piped Underground pex system . My run is only 50 ft each way I worked hard on it I wrapped the two oxygen barrier rex pipe with foil bubble wrapping the pipe . I used my atv to pull the bundle through 6 inch unperforated black corrugated drainage pipe. This may not have been able with out a atv or a comalong . I placed it in a open trench with foil wrapped pipe inside . every 24 -30 inch I drilled a 1.5 inch hole in top of corrugated pipe and left a hinge where I could bend it our of way and replace it. I calculated my volumes in the pipe and bought polyurethane a and b mixes on line, per my calculated needs and poured in the pipe to surround The ht prefoiled insulated Pex with the polyurethane. Would close the flap with tap and the foam with bleed out. I later called with sikoflex calling. Polyurethane foam is closed cell I would measure my pours so it always expanded out the top hole I made and the would go down my calculated distance by tapping on a cured pour where there was a void and that would be my estimated next hole for the next pour.
Being in the piping industry the snow test is alway a good way to see how well a underground system is insulated. With a dusting of snow if it doesn't melt while running your hydronic heat you did I good job. I feel my described system worked pretty well. Yes my boiler is in another building which is alway best ,but its 40 feet from house . Pex to Iron pipe size adapters are very expensive too. ouch No of this is cheap . Picture while not of a heating line but a septic line that would freeze due to under stone driveway and minimum coverage but will give you idea
I use propylene glycol for down times to prevent freeze up $$$

Attachments

Image 2.jpg
.JPG | 216.4KB | Image 2.jpg

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Apr. 09, 2017 9:01 am

Now that's the way to do it, if you're going to put pipe in the ground!

-Don

firewoodman

Post by firewoodman » Sat. Apr. 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Well bought the efm wcb 24-1 today for $550...came with all controls circulator pump...now to plumb it in this summer...I need a dhw coil for this unit if anyone has one...

This is going into my second property...the axeman will still heat the rental property...the efm...the new home....pics to follow...

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Sun. Apr. 16, 2017 9:50 am

That's a nice boiler at a great price. Take your time over the summer.

David

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”