Boiler Creasote Build up

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Sat. Feb. 08, 2020 7:14 pm

bcdex wrote:
Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 6:28 pm
Been burning coal in my DS 1100 boiler and thought I would see how wood burns in it. The wood is dry and seasoned, it's been in my pole barn for around seven years. Problem is, creasote build up. I have the secondary burn knob open but still builds up on inside walls and door. I'm burning it hot but when the air intake's close is when it forms. Been using creosote remover and it helps. Wondering why the buildup when the wood is this old and dry. Any tips? Thanks....

Dex

IMG_20151017_133820427_zpsljjoa1ig.jpg
How dry is it? Split a piece down the center and test with a moisture meter for wood. Less than 20% in the center of the split is ideal. Also dont load the boiler to the max with wood, less wood and more air is better. Make the wood work harder to put out the required BTU, its not the same as coal where you can load it and turn it down to what suits your heating requirements. you have to use less wood per load and load more often. I learned this the hard way with my old riteway boiler, I used to load it to the max and the wood would just smolder, I had stage 3 creosote from the boiler to the chimney cap. Until I had a chimney fire and that was the end of wood in the boiler for me! As long as the creosote is flakey or powdery you are ok. Sweep once its the thickness of a nickle

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”