Buderus Logana 02.40

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Tue. Sep. 01, 2015 9:55 pm

I have possible access to a Buderus Logana 02.40/40 , 145 btu/hr , the biggest one made of this line.
I have done some searching here and there is not much info on this or any other of this series Logana 02.40
It is a hand fed ,if coal is to be used. The original manual that was still with the boiler states that it is a wood boiler.
How ever , other search from Hearth.com , some one states that due to the low ceiling height of the sectional castings
that it is a coal burner. Another German site states it is a coke burner.
I have looked at this unit, and there are slots in the base for air, but they are not grates and are part of the sectional castings , no movement here.
The way to remove ashes is by opening a middle door and inserting a very solid circular brush and heave ho in and out to
get the ashes to fall through the slots and into a lower ash pan. I question this method while the boiler is running, and how well it
works. I guess this should get you thru the ash removal, but I wonder how well it works and how much effort is required.
I know Buderus is a good quality unit. I just question if this system is still desirable.
I will probably go grab it and we can all figure it out.
Here is a pic of when it was new.
Input air is via a lower door, with a temperature chain to door.

Attachments

attack-open2.jpg
.JPG | 40.4KB | attack-open2.jpg
Last edited by alpineboard on Tue. Sep. 01, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Sep. 01, 2015 10:12 pm

I ran a Buderus Juno hand fed stove for 27 years. No forum just figuring things out by myself. The only thought I have is to find American fuel that behaves as the European fuel does. Buderus has been in business for over 250 years, and that is no mistake.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Tue. Sep. 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Do a search here and on the interwebs for an Attack FD 42 >>>http://www.attack.sk/en/cast-iron-boilers/wood-coal/ that is what your pic looks like. I had looked into this boiler before I got my New Yorker.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Sep. 01, 2015 11:48 pm

I have a Buderus 02.40-6 (rated at 140k on coal/gas/oil and 125k on wood) in my garage. With those water-cooled grates it is efficient for wood but a PITA for coal. Quality, heavy duty unit with cast iron watertube design but limited size firebox. To me it looks like a good basement wood burner for a small- to medium-sized house.

Mike

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Sep. 02, 2015 7:19 am

I would avoid that if I planned on burning coal.

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Wed. Sep. 02, 2015 3:26 pm

I stripped it today, The rods and nuts seemed to loosen well, I will separate the sections and grab it tomorrow. Too busy shoveling coal today. I think some one would like it as a wood burner and maybe throw some coal in on a cold occasion. looks like the weight on it is 770 pounds, and I do not want to move it in one piece. And on the rebuild, you have a choice of how many sections you want to build it, for log length and BTU output.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”