New Yorker WC-90 Plate Repair

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. May. 02, 2015 9:47 am

WC-90-3.jpg
.JPG | 172.5KB | WC-90-3.jpg
The NY WC-90 seems to be a popular item here as of late, I picked mine up this past Thursday. Overall it's a nice clean unit (except for the creosote ;) ). The only thing I found to be wrong w/ it is two of the cast iron plates above the grates are cracked/warped/burnt thru.
My thought for a repair is to make wood molds and use cast-able refractory cement to make replacements. The space under the plates just fills up w/ ash so I see no loss there and the refractory might protect the base better. Any thoughts on this idea? I also plan to put a small piece of rebar or wire to strengthen the corners of the castings. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

WC-90-1.jpg

plates as in the boiler

.JPG | 316.5KB | WC-90-1.jpg
WC-90-2.jpg
.JPG | 267.5KB | WC-90-2.jpg

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. May. 02, 2015 10:12 am

Good plan, and your side grates look typical. They are still available and if 350.00 doesn't scare you, then all is well. I like your refractory idea, because the originals are a wear item.
How did you enjoy that creosote smelling beast...can you imagine opening that in your basement a few times every day. WOW. I have seen a few with leaks coming from the back wall region, and it seems that the type of wood must erode the steel behind the angle grates, and eventually spring a leak. It is repairable for sure, just not fun. One word or advise, when you mount it in the final resting place, I suggest you build it up 16 to 24" to make loading and cleanout easier. If you are short, you may be able to adjust, but taller folks do not like bending that far down. :idea:

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. May. 02, 2015 10:22 am

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/HARD-BRICKS-Fire ... -s/373.htm

Check this place out, I ordered special bricks @ 4.00 each, they have many different shapes and size.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. May. 02, 2015 10:57 am

Nice find! That is a newer model as it is gray, I'm interested too see how your refractory idea works, my plates are like new but some day they'll wear. I don't like how the ash piles under the plates either, I was thinking about sealing the plates too the walls with refractory cement.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. May. 02, 2015 10:59 am

Get up high, it looks a little silly but who cares as long as your bending over twice a day

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 102.8KB | image.jpg

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. May. 02, 2015 12:17 pm

whistlenut wrote:Good plan, and your side grates look typical. They are still available... I like your refractory idea, because the originals are a wear item.
How did you enjoy that creosote smelling beast... can you imagine opening that in your basement... I have seen a few with leaks coming from the back wall region, ... One word or advise, when you mount it in the final resting place, I suggest you build it up 16 to 24" to make loading and cleanout easier :
Thanks Whistlenut, just for informational purposes where would these plates be available? For $350 I'd figure something else out, (like learning to cast iron myself). The smell of creosote doesn't bother me too much, I'm a long term OWB owner, now in a new house, but after a bit in the house maybe not so much :shock: . I was planing to set it up six inches but maybe now I'll go higher, Thanks for that. There was a spot in the back I thought was welded but it was just creosote stuck to the wall, I had to chip it off w/ a hammer but I can see that would eat the steel up.

Michael, I thought about bricks but got this idea from Sav's post on his weso panels >> Weso Coal Panels

Thanks Hotblast, I've been following your thread from the beginning and especially since I saw this one go up for sale. Yeah definitely going to set it up higher.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”