Energy Mate Boiler

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Apr. 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Does any one have any literature or knowledge on the energy mate wood boilers? I might be able to get one.. he burned wood in it, but doesn't know what the grates are, Did these come with shaker grates? Is it a well built boiler? It is around 20 years old. There's no leaks or anything, was just too small fo his house.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Apr. 07, 2015 8:05 pm

I did a quick check and Hearth.com has a load of information on there about the energy mate. A quick preview revealed it eats wood like candy and tends to belch a little smoke now and then if your draft is not almost perfect. Go to Hearth.com and type energy mate in their search box at the top right corner.

Rev. Larry

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Apr. 07, 2015 8:25 pm

I looked at an Energy Mate hot air furnace a few years ago. Inside it was just a box with a flue pipe coming out the back, nothing to trap the heat from the hot gases. The firebox was "V" shaped with 1 triangular grate. Not good for burn'in coal, you would have to give a coal fire a lot of threapy with that firebox. This guy was selling it because it used to much wood.

I passed on it.

-Don

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Apr. 08, 2015 6:56 am

StokerDon wrote:I looked at an Energy Mate hot air furnace a few years ago. Inside it was just a box with a flue pipe coming out the back, nothing to trap the heat from the hot gases. The firebox was "V" shaped with 1 triangular grate. Not good for burn'in coal, you would have to give a coal fire a lot of threapy with that firebox. This guy was selling it because it used to much wood.

I passed on it.

-Don
Thanks don, don't forget my hotblast is the v shape box with the one rocker grate, I am used too the way they work so I wouldn't mind if I could get it in a boiler. I wouldn't mind tinkering with it making a baffle, I will be getting it cheap I think.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 08, 2015 7:28 am

A man I used to work with has one. "Creosote generating monster" might be a better name for it. His had a shaker grate, but it was a poor design from what he described to me.

Personally I don't think it would be any sort of upgrade over what you already have.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Apr. 08, 2015 10:25 am

hb,
you're young, you may as well go ahead and do it all the same way we older guys did it when we were youre age.
it is interesting watching you younger guys going where we've already been. ;)

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Apr. 08, 2015 11:22 am

McGiever wrote:hb,
you're young, you may as well go ahead and do it all the same way we older guys did it when we were youre age.
it is interesting watching you younger guys going where we've already been. ;)
Haha why would we want too change man's thinking now? Lol

The seller has just told me he's not going too let it go for a reasonable price so scrap this project, I know it's old and small so I'm not goin to waste 200-300 dollars on it. Thank you guys for the info.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Apr. 08, 2015 8:05 pm

It's a shame your not near PA. Heres a nice little boiler that was designed to burn coal for a 100 bucks!

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

That would be fun to play with.

-Don

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”