Legend L-4200 Coal/Wood Boiler

Fernal76
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Taylor / Legend

Post by Fernal76 » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi all

Your forum is great and reading it has answered many of my questions but I still have a few questions about the unit.

In the fall, when it isn't freezing out, it was suggested to me to burn wood. That worked out pretty good although it does burn through a lot of wood, about 3 fireboxes a day when it is approximately 40 degrees out. The amount of air that blows underneath the wood when it calls for heat, I usually have it set to go off at 180 and on at 170, is VERY impressive and it looks like a torch in there when the fan is on. The exhaust is 5 feet high off the boiler and has a rain cap over it. Any suggestions on how to use less wood? I was thinking of maybe putting a steel plate in the middle of the grates to reduce the air to get a more controlled slow burn.

Here are pictures of my unit - http://c-ebert.tripod.com/TaylorLegendCoalstovepi ... ures.html/

My second question is now that it is winter and cold, 15 degrees, I am having a lot of trouble with the coal creating a lot of slag and ash build up which even when I shake the grates, doesn't go down. I started the chestnut sized anthracite coal fire on a bed of wood coals, slowly adding more and more as it burned through until I had a nice 8 to 12 inch bed of coals. That worked great but it only took a few days before I had a huge pile of slag and ash stopping air from getting through. When this happens, do I need to empty it all and start over? I have tried breaking it up, mixing it around and shaking it but it never gets going as good as it did the first couple of days of use. I have been having the fire kick on at 185 and off at 195 and I don't have a barometric pressure fitting on my exhaust. The exhaust is 5 feet high off the boiler and has a rain cap over it. I was shaking every morning before feeding and in the evening before feeding and emptying the ash pan every other day. I am new to this and would love some coal burning tips!

Thanks

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Fernal76 , Welcome to the forum.That Outdoor water heater does not meet the criteria for "boiler" status. It is vented to the atmosphere,that allows oxygen to constantly enter into the water causing rust,& yes you can use a water treatment to minimize that.We used an Outdoor Wood Monster (Outdoor Wood Burner) for 8 yrs,it was one of the stupidest decisions I ever made. We fired up our EFM520 coal boiler Oct 10,2014 & ended the hard labor sentence. From 1/2 cord/24 hrs to 270# in the 520 +40# in our handfed, from 6-8 hr burn time to tending the boiler once every 24 hrs,12 hr between tending the handfed.You ask how to burn less wood, those stoves were designed to do 1 thing well........... BURN FUEL.!!!You are having trouble burning coal properly & ashing properly for one reason........... POOR design !! Look at how the fire box has almost not sloped sides on both sides of the grates. Now , study this forum & look at the properly designed fire box of a good coal burner.Under fed pots,incline grates are most likely the most popular set up for a good coal boiler.Why do you run your water temp to 195* ? Cut the temp down 10* & save a bit of fuel,no you do not need a baro. A baro controls over draft,you have no issues with that.THE BEST way to burn coal in that poorly designed firebox is if you were to make a "box" to fit the grates with strait sides so the coal would feed downward as it burns. Coal likes a deep bed,10-12" minimum in that unit.Coal does not like to be "stirred",but you might try just sliding a bar with a right angle on the end along the fire brick on just 1 side one day & do the other side the next day. This may help move ash & partially burnt coal towards the grates.Sorry I can't give you a more positive sounding resolution. I have seen what the OWB's are designed like & how poorly they perform at transforming fuel to heat,i now have seen how well a properly designed coal boiler can turn a little fuel into a lot of heat.I wish I had known all of this back in 2005,it would have prevented the 8 yr hard labor sentence.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 10:40 pm

I would do as windy suggests to help clearing the ash. What bothers me is when you say slag. This sounds to me like clinkers which are bits of fused ash that are very hard and indicate too hot a fire. With a blower you can get up a lot of heat and perhaps too much. Try cutting down on the air for a bit cooler burn if possible.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”