Questions About Vanwert Simplex Multitherm

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 23, 2014 5:20 am

artbar56 wrote:The coal is at the 5" level (the boiler stays in the back of the firebox). The only thing below the coal is the grates. Is there something missing that should be in there?
You are all set. I asked about the bricks because normally the height of a standard brick is about the depth that you want the coal. A friend of mine recently got one of these boilers, and he verified that the firebox doesn't have firebricks...just a heavy steel firebox.

5" of coal is shallow for a nut/stove mix. I would add another 3" or so, and mound it a little in the center.

artbar56
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Simplex Multitherm CHF-120
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Hard Coal

Post by artbar56 » Thu. Dec. 25, 2014 11:04 pm

Thank you Rob! Merry Christmas!

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Dec. 26, 2014 9:22 am

Art, I try to keep some room in the very front for air passage, because otherwise too much coal when refilling will 'damp' the fire down for a long time or sometimes snuff it out. Hand feds are a challenge sometimes......OK, a lot of the time. It is a heat producing beast, and an effort to make it run correctly 24/7. It sure is a nice long burning boiler, and unlike a stoker needs a more 'personal touch' to keep it happy. When you are shut down sometime, please remove the small front panel above the feed door; and squirt some penetrating oil on the 4 nuts that hold the inner panel on. When freed up, remove them to access the burn tubes. Above the front portion you will see or feel a plug there. That plug is a place that acts like an anode for the boiler. It can and will unexpectedly fail if the boiler has been sitting unused for a long time. You will NOT be a happy camper when you come home and see water everywhere, fire drowned out and water still trying to replenish the level.

A heads-up to all Van Wert owners......don't panic, but don't be afraid of it either. Prevention is sure cheaper than the stress of finding a swamp in your basement.
Hows that for some morning cheer? I have to say it sure got my attention, so hopefully you can curb this before it occurs to you. I'll add a pic or two showing the device. A 1/2 brass plug will resolve the issue......get one and keep it on top of the boiler........ :idea: :!:

artbar56
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Simplex Multitherm CHF-120
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Hard Coal

Post by artbar56 » Sat. Dec. 27, 2014 11:36 am

Thank you Whistlenut! I do appreciate the info!

Happy New Year,
Artemus

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”