Prairie Wood Heater Parts

greavri

Post by greavri » Wed. Nov. 12, 2014 11:02 pm

I have power to actuator. It will pull damper up but when temp is reached dampener will not go down unless you manually put pressure on it

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 13, 2014 9:09 am

Not familar w/ your specific motor...but most are spring return when power is removed.
It is possible that your spring is broke.

I have a spring return motor damper replacment if you are interested in one shoot me a PM.

bullroc3
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Prairie Wood Heater using coal grates
Coal Size/Type: pea

Post by bullroc3 » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 8:42 am

Well, there was no problem. This draft control is very slow. I just touched the wires to the control wires and thought that it would take off but it didn't. My friend who assisted me physically attached the two wires and we watched as it began to move, slowly. VOILA!!!! IT WORKS!!!! Then came the adjustments. The wheel turns slowly and only moves about 45 degrees clockwise. When we hooked up the chain, it moved just enough to take up the slack up in the chain. Time for a MacGyver move. He had in his electrical bag a circular surface mount electrical box about a half inch deep. We attached it to the wheel to increase the range of movement. That worked. We then did the chain adjustment and got it to open the draft and more importantly, completely close it. The draft does not open as far as it used to but after 5 days of operation I find that it works just fine. Coal fire off and burning. LOVE IT!!

Thanks to all for reading and replying with suggestions.

greavri

Post by greavri » Tue. Nov. 18, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks, Same thing happened to me kind of. It was stuck in the top position (draft door open) I removed the set screw and sprayed some pbblaster on the unit to lubricate it. Hooked the power and set screw back up and it worked great. Yes more important to close than open because if it does not close all the way it will most likely overheat and blow the pressure relief valve. Don't make them like the prairie wood any more. I burn wood and it heats my 4000 sq foot house just fine and it is such great heat. Plus the wood is free off my land and I enjoy the exercise! Out of curiosity what do you have your low and high aquastats set at? I am at low 180 and high 205. The manual I have said you should have a 25 degree difference in them. Thanks to all who posted to help me fix mine!

bullroc3

Post by bullroc3 » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 10:41 am

I checked my high and low settings and they are the same as yours.

It is nice to see that someone else has a Prairie Wood Heater. I don't understand why they went out of business. It is a GREAT boiler. I purchased mine in 1982 and it has burned every winter since then. I burned wood in the early years but changed to coal - no wood smoke or smell. I had to have the coal grates re-cast twice as I have burned through them. I have a backup set now along with the center shaker grate. Had to send them to Wisconsin to have them done. I don't remember the name of the company but they did a great job. I love the simplicity of the unit - no digital parts!!!! All mechanical. This morning when I left for work, it was 8 degrees outside and a comfortable 72 degrees inside. :D

greavri

Post by greavri » Mon. Dec. 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Well my actuator finally quit. I did some research and the company that makes the actuator (damper control on back of wood burner) for our unit is still in business. I ordered one today. The company is family owned and very nice to deal with. Just contact Multi Products Company 5301 – 21st Street Racine WI 53406 P 262-554-3700 x221 | F 262-554-3711 and let them know what you need (spec number is stamped on the actuator) Mine was EX 77 39a 24 volts. the 77 stands for made in 1977. I hope this helps you in the future in case you need to but a new one. Hope you are having great holidays and that your coal is burning hot!

bullroc3

Post by bullroc3 » Tue. Dec. 30, 2014 11:45 am

Now that is GREAT news. Thanks for the information. I will probably order one and use the current actuator as a backup.

mplante
Other Heating: Prairie Wood Heater, Model A

Post by mplante » Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 10:54 am

Our Prairie Wood Heater, Model A just started to leak in the back of the firebox, and we will be removing it. All the parts are available (or the whole thing). Pump on the top, gauges, draft door motor, doors, etc. All in good condition. Photos available.
John Plante
[email protected]

bullroc3

Post by bullroc3 » Wed. Feb. 18, 2015 8:46 am

Greavri - do you have the part number for this actuator?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Feb. 18, 2015 8:50 am

bullroc3 wrote:Greavri - do you have the part number for this actuator?
I think you missed this in his post:

let them know what you need (spec number is stamped on the actuator) Mine was EX 77 39a 24 volts

bullroc3

Post by bullroc3 » Wed. Feb. 18, 2015 2:07 pm

I should have specified what I needed - the MFG part number and not the number stamped on the part. I did not need it anyway. Have it ordered. They are the original MFG of these parts for Prarie Wood Heaters and she (Lori) knew exactly what I needed. She stated that she probably made the one that I have on the heater now back in 1977!!!!

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Thu. Feb. 19, 2015 12:03 am

bullroc3 wrote:I should have specified what I needed - the MFG part number and not the number stamped on the part. I did not need it anyway. Have it ordered. They are the original MFG of these parts for Prarie Wood Heaters and she (Lori) knew exactly what I needed. She stated that she probably made the one that I have on the heater now back in 1977!!!!
That's kinda what I was pointing towards. They probably never gave greavri the MFG part number, they more than likely just said "we have it". I've had that happen with lot's of parts I ordered. Some places (it seems) want to keep the MFG part number secret so you can't 'shop' for a better price.

With that said, I'm glad you found the part you need.

bullroc3

Post by bullroc3 » Fri. Feb. 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Yes. I am too because the Honeywell part (pictured in a previous reply) that I purchased last October quit last Tuesday night :mad: . It would not close or open. Fortunately my wife was home all day Wednesday so she played draft-control-lady until I got home from work. So, I re-hooked up the 30+ year old actuator :idea: with the Macgyver parts and got it working again. The Honeywell had to quit during the coldest days of the winter so far. But all is well - the new actuator being delivered on Monday. :D

greavri

Post by greavri » Fri. Feb. 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Well the multi product actuator will out last that Honeywell for thirty years. The one Laurie sent me is working great! Glad my post helped you find the original manufacturer!

bullroc3

Post by bullroc3 » Mon. Feb. 23, 2015 8:42 am

MANY THANKS!!! Glad I found this forum.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”