Outdoor Wood Boiler

nuthcuntrynut
Stoker Coal Boiler: wl110 leisure line
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: ussc pellet stove

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Thu. Dec. 05, 2013 11:54 pm

the owb is gone and I don't miss it! no matter how well they are insulated, no matter how well the pipes are insulated. they lose heat that could be in your basement. I don't miss going to church, work or to bed smelling of smoke. I don't miss cutting, splitting, or stacking. I don't miss chipping ice off the wood, or freezing my arse off while trying to light an out fire. I don't miss that thing a bit.
I do love my coal boiler. I like that its quiet. I like that it's cheap to run. I like that my basement is warm. and I like that will pay for itself in about 2 years use. and my neighbors like the fact that they don't have to smell or see smog.
PS anyone wanna buy a chainsaw I own 5

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Dec. 06, 2013 8:38 am

nuthcuntrynut wrote:the owb is gone and I don't miss it! no matter how well they are insulated, no matter how well the pipes are insulated. they lose heat that could be in your basement. I don't miss going to church, work or to bed smelling of smoke. I don't miss cutting, splitting, or stacking. I don't miss chipping ice off the wood, or freezing my arse off while trying to light an out fire. I don't miss that thing a bit.
I do love my coal boiler. I like that its quiet. I like that it's cheap to run. I like that my basement is warm. and I like that will pay for itself in about 2 years use. and my neighbors like the fact that they don't have to smell or see smog.
PS anyone wanna buy a chainsaw I own 5
Unless we forget to add wood,we never have trouble with the fire going out,but the rest of your list.......... I do wish you hadn't brought up the icy wood thing,(better not to think of that till it happens),we unfortunately will have to keep using our OWB for another year or so,we are definitely looking forward to going with coal & ending some of the ridiculous work load with the OWB & while we regret going the OWB route,we do not regret cutting the oil vein off years ago. The OWB has saved us thousands compared to burning oil or propane and has allowed us to have a warm house while saving fuel money.We wish we had gotten to know this forum BEFORE our decision in 2006 to go with the OWB,but ,live,work hard,learn,do smarter next time. :idea:

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Fri. Dec. 06, 2013 11:30 am

i agree David my owb served its purpose well for seven yrs, and before it sprung a leak in subzero weather, most likely, it was time to part with it. I don't miss paying 150.00 for innertubes on my tractor either, but I have never had oil in my house since it was built, and I owe it to the owb
and I too wish I would have found this forum before buying a owb
kind regards
tonny

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Dec. 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Great, now we are going to tick off the chainsaw manufacturer's too. :D

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Dec. 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Did someone say LL was working on an out door coal boiler??? Do tell!

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Dec. 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Carbon12 wrote:Did someone say LL was working on an out door coal boiler??? Do tell!
Go to LL site,click on the updates & technical info,go to bottom of page, LL- AA220 = LL OCB ,very exciting machine. :up: :junmp:

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Dec. 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Someone at LL had a eureka moment! They are outlawing outdoor wood boilers all over the place. This would be the only purpose built and certified outdoor coal heating boiler. I bet it will sell well :!:

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 12:32 am

thought on a outdoor coal boiler, but why would anyone want to let heat escape off of a boiler that could be in their basement?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 12:37 am

nuthcuntrynut wrote:thought on a outdoor coal boiler, but why would anyone want to let heat escape off of a boiler that could be in their basement?
I totally agree. A guy I jammed a couple gigs with wanted to build an outside shed for his new (second hand) coal boiler.. I adamantly tried to persuade him to get it in the basement. He argued the basement had limited space. I said do it anyways lol - I better check on him and see what he ended up doing with it. :|

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 8:32 am

nuthcuntrynut wrote:thought on a outdoor coal boiler, but why would anyone want to let heat escape off of a boiler that could be in their basement?
Insulation panels around unit ,if done right would retain the heat,look closely at the LL OCB design & knowing how LL doe's things,it should be a very good design. WHO :?: those who have no basement,trailers -- some areas a solid fuel heating device cannot be installed in a trailer ,or in a shop where gasoline powered engines are being worked on constantly .We qualify totally, we heat two trailers,no basements, & a lawn & garden equipment repair shop.It's a big world out there,some of us are not fortunate enough to have a basement, & with everything already in place for the existing OWB,why undo everything & dig all the pipes up ,etc.,when this OCB can simply be set in place of the OWB ? :?: :D

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 9:51 am

No basement,...Duh! I never even considered that when thinking about why people "wood" want an OWB. I always thought it was simply to keep the wood mess outside. Thanks for making the obvious more obvious :D Since smoke is not a concern with an OCB can you place them closer to the house? Is there some sort of minimum distance the outdoor boiler must be from the occupied dwelling? Seems the closer you can place it to the house the less heat you'll lose to underground pipes.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 11:12 am

No minimum that I know of as some outdoor wood burners are hot air & directly ducted to house from several feet away,but,-the closer burner is to a house the stack would then need to be taller to get rid of the gases... if short stack a few feet from house & leaky windows,carbon monoxide could be an issue with coal,especially if run all year for DHW.Yes all year dhw is doable with the LL OCB - its a dual burner,use both in winter, one burner in summer & low heat need times. 8-) :idea:

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Sun. Feb. 02, 2014 9:10 am

A new member with, dare I type it, an OWB here, feeling pretty well bashed. :oops: I burn wood because I have a nearly unlimited supply and as hard to believe as this may sound, I enjoy the work. I burn 10 cords per year and it takes about 4 hours to process each cord. So if I figure my time it comes to about $1200 per year plus a little gas and other sundries. Maybe $1500 per year. Still a good deal in my book.

My real reason for coming to this forum and submitting myself to the abuse is this. I want to burn some coal in my smoke dragon and think my best bet would be bit lump but I can't find any here in south central PA. I can get all the anthracite I could use but it doesn't work well in the dragon. Any ideas where to get bit lump in my area? Zip is 17013.

Thanks, I think... :help2:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 02, 2014 9:19 am

Does your OWB have shaker grates? What make & model is it?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 02, 2014 9:20 am

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”