My Winter Coal Burning Formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:29 am

The Stockton coal I have this year seems to have a lot less ash than the mystery coal I had last year. I'm very pleased with it. It's white ash, no fines, sized nicely and very clean.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:30 am

Hmmmm, well I've been burning BLASCHAK for 5 yrs now & have to say I've not noticed much if any difference in ash content--at least no more then I would expect in ANY fossil fuel. Maybe a bit more or less on occasion. Of course I have not pulled out my old triple beam hashish scale :clap: toothy I get 3 tons per season & no matter what old man winter throws at us--that is what I consume to maintain a comfy 72* in the old homestead. Some seasons I have quite a bit left, others only a little. Depending on the severity of the COLD, I play with my draft/air, but with my bi-metallic thermo, that comes to little. I guess what I'm saying is--"MY STOVES SMARTER THEN YOUR STOVE LARRY" :nana:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:32 am

Lightning wrote:The Stockton coal I have this year seems to have a lot less ash than the mystery coal I had last year. I'm very pleased with it. It's white ash, no fines, sized nicely and very clean.
2 years ago my closest local coal supplier ('Coalway' of Apple Creek, OH) carried Mammoth (Stockton?) and Blaschak, but now they have only Blaschak, so that's why my bin is stocked with this years batch of Blaschak. By about mid December I figure that I will begin tapping into the "new" Blaschak.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:36 am

freetown fred wrote:I guess what I'm saying is--"MY STOVES SMARTER THEN YOUR STOVE LARRY" :nana:
No doubt! And you never cease to totally amaze me with your frugal coal consumption. The Hitzer is one great stove!

I go into each new year figuring upon going through ~4.6 tons per winter, and and then roughly one additional ton over the summer. 5.6 tons per year.

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:47 am

Lightning wrote:The Stockton coal I have this year seems to have a lot less ash than the mystery coal I had last year. I'm very pleased with it. It's white ash, no fines, sized nicely and very clean.
DITTO....happy with the stockton as well
...actually tried the pre bagged blaschak as well....but went with stockton

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Fortunately for me I paid only $242/ton for our 5 tons of delivered Blaschak pea this season, and I paid $273/ton for 5 tons of delivered UAE Harmony last season, so even though the Blaschak I burn will require 10% more (assuming winters being overall equal) the cost differential actually favors the Blaschak. I'm OK with that!!! :)

Rigar

Post by Rigar » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 6:54 pm

lsayre wrote:Fortunately for me I paid only $242/ton for our 5 tons of delivered Blaschak pea this season, and I paid $273/ton for 5 tons of delivered UAE Harmony last season, so even though the Blaschak I burn will require 10% more (assuming winters being overall equal) the cost differential actually favors the Blaschak. I'm OK with that!!! :)
...theyre pretty close!!
...cant possibly be worth the extra ash dumping. :lol:

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Rigar wrote:
lsayre wrote:...theyre pretty close!!
...cant possibly be worth the extra ash dumping. :lol:
I was trying to see the bright side, and then you had to bring in the dark side and ruin everything! :shock: :lol:

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 7:08 pm

lsayre wrote:Fortunately for me I paid only $242/ton for our 5 tons of delivered Blaschak pea this season, and I paid $273/ton for 5 tons of delivered UAE Harmony last season, so even though the Blaschak I burn will require 10% more (assuming winters being overall equal) the cost differential actually favors the Blaschak. I'm OK with that!!! :)
Isayre..that bagged pallets of Blaschak? or bulk? if bagged...your prices are cheaper than here in the coal producing country(Pa) whats up with that? Burning stockton coal again this year mysself. good results last season. Do use some pea(reading) local source but I buy that by pickup load(800#) as needed.

Rigar

Post by Rigar » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 7:10 pm

lsayre wrote:
Rigar wrote:
I was trying to see the bright side, and then you had to bring in the dark side and ruin everything! :shock: :lol:
...ya gotta dump em anyways....so why not dump 'em a couple extra two-tree times and save urself some dough!

...hows that?? :lol:

mdhorvath
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S500 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea Anthracite

Post by mdhorvath » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 7:53 pm

lsayre wrote:
I go into each new year figuring upon going through ~4.6 tons per winter, and and then roughly one additional ton over the summer. 5.6 tons per year.
I'd love to only burn 5 tons per year, I'll be lucky if 5 tons lasts me till Christmas! :cry:

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 8:03 pm

wilder11354 wrote: Isayre..that bagged pallets of Blaschak? or bulk? if bagged...your prices are cheaper than here in the coal producing country(Pa) whats up with that? Burning stockton coal again this year mysself. good results last season. Do use some pea(reading) local source but I buy that by pickup load(800#) as needed.
I buy only bulk anthracite, and at 5 tons per delivery.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Rigar wrote:I was trying to see the bright side, and then you had to bring in the dark side and ruin everything! :shock: :lol:
...ya gotta dump em anyways....so why not dump 'em a couple extra two-tree times and save urself some dough!

...hows that?? :lol:[/quote]

Better! :)

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 6:43 am

It turns out that my initial formula for this heating season gave to much credit to my Blaschak coal. My revised formula for this heating season is:

Coal burned for the day = HDD's x 1.55 + 4 lbs.

Where:
HDD's = Heating Degree Days (base 65) = 65 minus the days mean temperature
And 4 lbs. = coal used for the homes average daily DHW needs instead of home heating

This formula is matching my consumption data just about perfectly to date for October and November (the only heating data I have so far this season), and it shows that Blaschak is delivering roughly 15% less usable BTU's than did last seasons UAE Harmony.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 6:54 am

Do you get more unburned coal in ash? Perhaps the Blaschak coal doesn't burn as completely in low-load conditions...if that is the case, some of the missing BTU's are going in the ash tub. The coal from UAE was unusual (in my opinion at least), it burned very hot with very little air...not that it matters much now, it is history.

It will be interesting to see if things change once you get into your latest delivery of Blaschak.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”