My Winter Coal Burning Formula for 2014 (Blaschak)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 6:54 am

lsayre wrote:and it shows that Blaschak is delivering roughly 15% less usable BTU's than did last seasons UAE Harmony.
I find it amazing that anthracite coal from different mines can vary so much. Wow, that's good information Larry. You have the soundest comparisons I've ever seen. Nice job tracking the specs 8-)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 7:07 am

Rob R. wrote:Do you get more unburned coal in ash? Perhaps the Blaschak coal doesn't burn as completely in low-load conditions...if that is the case, some of the missing BTU's are going in the ash tub. The coal from UAE was unusual (in my opinion at least), it burned very hot with very little air...not that it matters much now, it is history.

It will be interesting to see if things change once you get into your latest delivery of Blaschak.
Actually since the T-Stats began making calls for heat the Blaschak is now burning completely. Even clinkering to some degree (though not as much as the Harmony did). My ash pans are much lighter in weight now.

This data is indeed for my older Blaschak. I have great hope for improvement when I get to the newer Blaschak.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 7:12 am

I didn't keep any records last winter, so I can't really compare my current coal to anything recent. I have records from 2011, but since then I have insulated the boiler and added a reset control, so there are too many variables.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 7:18 am

Rob R. wrote:I didn't keep any records last winter, so I can't really compare my current coal to anything recent. I have records from 2011, but since then I have insulated the boiler and added a reset control, so there are too many variables.
My thought is that you are going to see a dramatic drop in consumption this season due to your modifications.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 7:25 am

lsayre wrote:
Rob R. wrote:I didn't keep any records last winter, so I can't really compare my current coal to anything recent. I have records from 2011, but since then I have insulated the boiler and added a reset control, so there are too many variables.
My thought is that you are going to see a dramatic drop in consumption this season due to your modifications.
Hopefully you are right, but I won't know how much of the reduction (if any) is due to a change in coal source. The other variable is domestic hot water...we are using more than ever.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 7:32 am

Rob R. wrote:Hopefully you are right, but I won't know how much of the reduction (if any) is due to a change in coal source. The other variable is domestic hot water...we are using more than ever.
I feel yer pain lol, its nice to see the numbers (when making improvements) to prove the efforts are valid.. But sometimes you just gotta have faith that if you are putting more heat where it needs to be, by having less heat where it shouldn't be, then you've made a step in the right direction :lol:

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 8:07 am

lsayre wrote:This data is indeed for my older Blaschak. I have great hope for improvement when I get to the newer Blaschak.
I've only got a couple years now burning blaschak but this years blend has outperformed (so far) than any of my previous seasons. Last year it was nothing to fill an ashpan per a 5 gal pail load, now im going a good couple days before my ash pan gets full. Its a night and day comparison. Hopefully this trend will continue, it will be sad to see last years ash content pop back up.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 8:57 am

Does Harmony have dealers who sell their coal closer to MA? Ive never seen harmony coal here :( , I would love to try some... anyone have contact info, address, web site? I cant find chit on Harmony Coal?
I do know for fact Blaschak is very very good this year (its impossible to deny that fact)... but im not saying better does not exist ("always someone bigger & bader than you, no matter how bad azz you might be" as they say toothy )

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 9:02 am

dcrane wrote:Does Harmony have dealers who sell their coal closer to MA? Ive never seen harmony coal here :( , I would love to try some... anyone have contact info, address, web site? I cant find chit on Harmony Coal?
I do know for fact Blaschak is very very good this year (its impossible to deny that fact)... but im not saying better does not exist ("always someone bigger & bader than you, no matter how bad azz you might be" as they say toothy )
Doug, the UAE mine is now closed. Their breaker is being operated by a new company called Mallard Contracting. The coal is not the same, but still very good according to a few forum members.

Mallard Contracting CO.INC the New UAE.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 9:10 am

lsayre wrote:
titleist1 wrote:very interesting comparison, thanks for the info. the harmony coal you are comparing, that was from the previous ownership, correct? I wonder if the characteristics changed at all since it re-opened.

I guess my general question would be are they stuck with the burn characteristics of the coal as it comes out of the ground or can that be changed with how it is processed at the breaker (for example adding 'bone')?

there aren't many dealers around here so I have only burned blaschak rice and have been happy enough to keep using it. when I used the hand fired I had a few options and the blaschak nut burned the best of what I had to choose from.
Yes, it was real Harmony. The mine is now closed. The current folks occupying the same location are actually (to my understanding) getting their coal from elsewhere.
Strip mined [surface] and trucked in...not deep mined as before Harmony Mine had closed forever and ceased operations. :(

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 10:25 am

I've got about a ton of the old Harmony left in my coal bin. Anyone want to buy it? Taking bids starting at $500 :-P

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 10:53 am

Hmmm,...$0.25/pound. I'll take two buckets. I want to know what all the fuss is about. :P

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 11:26 am

LDPosse wrote:I've got about a ton of the old Harmony left in my coal bin. Anyone want to buy it? Taking bids starting at $500 :-P
im almost tempted to grab 100lbs just to try it! (you guys should have stockpiled the stuff when it was their!)

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:46 pm

This simple formula can be used successfully to compute your daily heating consumption for any fuel.

For my house the figures would be roughly:

KWH per day = 3.45 x HDD's

Gallons of #2 Heating Oil per day = 0.11 x HDD's

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 6:55 pm

lsayre wrote:This simple formula can be used successfully to compute your daily heating consumption for any fuel.

For my house the figures would be roughly:

KWH per day = 3.45 x HDD's

Gallons of #2 Heating Oil per day = 0.11 x HDD's
That calc for #2 doesn't seem to work out...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”