Need Help With My Tarm 202 Boiler

pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post by pine grove coal user » Sun. Sep. 08, 2013 8:33 pm

I am working on my new Tarm.
Does anyone know what the "Coal Kit" (that used to be sold as an option) looked like? Did it have a piece to close off the vertical grate that is at the rear of the burn chamber just in front of the the ash door?
Did it hold fire bricks? Is it possible to have a good coal fire without the use of fire bricks?

Also, is the insulation that surrounds the unit fiberglass or rock wool?
The gasket around the bolts that hold on the door assembly appears to be oakum. I was going to use high temperature RTV instead of the oakum.
I called Tarm but they said they have no drawings of the 'Coal Kit".

I am hoping these questions get to someone that bought a 202 Tarm as a new unit.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Cokehead has one. As I recall, it had 4 rocker grates and a big lever to shake them. There is a baffle that goes near the door that is required to burn coal well. Also, if it has the oil option, check it's baffle. They do burn through. Firebrick isn't needed if there is water behind the steel. No water, no steel.

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 9:37 am

I have am in the same situation with a tarm 202 aka ft22, aka ft20. From some pics that I have previously found, the wood grates enable a sliding left to right, top bottom grate shake method. Or is this the coal method as well. Did this unit have rocker grates for coal. The manual says that coal or wood can be burned. I am thinking wood can be burned if said rocker coal grates exist. But can coal be burned if said wood grates exist. I am trying to figure out what is what here. I have searched plenty and some say that the rocker grates have a handle, but I have not seen a picture of them so I do not know if they exist. When buying a used 202, if no handle exists on the exterior, it is a wood burner. A picture is worth a thousand words and helps when buying used, (gas/travelling/etc) and I can not seem to find one. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you, Rob

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 6:47 pm

[quote="alpineboard"]I have am in the same situation with a tarm 202 , I have just purchased a 202 with shaker grates, they operate by opening the bottom door and hooking onto a hole at the end of the bottom connector bar. This bar connects the lower part of all the grates, so shake away. Now I can see that I need a plate at the lower door opening, so I do not fry that windowed little door and then the outside door. It looks like there is a 1"x1"x9" bar that will be removed, put the plate in that will be cut to fit, and put that 1x1x9 back in place to hold the plate there. This is all a guess but it seems to be that simple. Now my big question is, does a back plate exist? The front plate that I just described does not make the firebox any shorter, but in the manual it say that when burning coal, the fire box depth goes from 14" to 12". There are lower tabs on the bottom that are 2" inward. There are also horizontal 1/2" bars welded on both sides just below the 3 tubes. I will have to post some pictures soon so You can see. The good news is this 202 came with the two tube baffle plates that fit nicely between the 2 spaces.
Does any one have pics or drawings of the front and rear plate. The older link to woodboiler.com does not work anymore. I can get out to Lyme sometime to see if they have those plates(to look at?) thank you all, Robert

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”