April 2013 Coal Consumption

If you are in need of a more conventional heating solution that requires no power look no further. Unlike an automated stoker boiler these units do not require power to generate heat. They can be set up wiith pumps like a typical boiler or a gravity fed sytem insuring heat during power failures. Models include many New Yorker coal boilers, EFM WCB-24 and others. Some of these units can also burn wood.
lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sat. Apr. 20, 2013 8:08 am

I'm currently projecting 820 lbs. for April, and 8,750 lbs. since September 29th.
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post Sat. Apr. 20, 2013 9:45 am

I need a few minutes to count the hundreds of bag corners. Probably going to light up the last 2 bags right now after watching the forecast ..... :mad:

I shall update later. Got to be right around 5 tons or more. Burned wood for the first time this season, so might be right at 5 this time around.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ...Such laws make things worse
for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to
encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On
Crimes and Punishment."

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post Sat. Apr. 20, 2013 7:54 pm

If I burn to the end of April I will use about 920 lbs. , more than expected for April . We had some cold days in April here and company for a week so used alot dhw , it all adds up . That will add up to 8320 lbs. since Oct .9 .

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Tue. Apr. 30, 2013 7:21 pm

I just topped off and my actual coal consumed for April was only 774 lbs. Well down from my earlier projection of 820 lbs. And even farther off than that from my formula calculated usage for the month of 850 lbs. After serving me well since October, my HDD's formula has failed me (in a nice way) for April. Either that or I lost track and forgot to record a load of coal that I added to the boiler somewhere along the line during the month. ???

The mean temperature for the entire month came in at 48.05 degrees by my reckoning here in these parts. Just about normal for April around here.
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post Thu. May. 02, 2013 9:53 am

I used 880 lbs. for April and as soon as the hopper is empty I will be done with coal for the summer season. I used 8280 lbs. to the end of April and started burning on Oct. 9th . This was my first year burning coal and I am well pleased with both the 110 boiler and the amount of coal used . I would like to thank all of you on the forum for all the help , it was much appreciated .

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Thu. May. 02, 2013 1:16 pm

About half of what I used in March ;)
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Poconoeagle
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Post Thu. May. 02, 2013 10:37 pm

All the coal I had left from the six tons bought 7 MONTHS AGO !!!! now 2 days into the EIGHTh month ;)
"Do it Right the First Time" dont leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the Next guy!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”