Can I Convert Old American Standard Severn Boiler to Wood?

If you are in need of a more conventional heating solution that requires no power look no further. Unlike an automated stoker boiler these units do not require power to generate heat. They can be set up wiith pumps like a typical boiler or a gravity fed sytem insuring heat during power failures. Models include many New Yorker coal boilers, EFM WCB-24 and others. Some of these units can also burn wood.
imaddicted2u
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: American Standard Severn (1957) on bituminous
Coal Size/Type: Unscreened-Fist sized lump to powder-Bituminous

Post Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 6:38 am

Berlin wrote:What tamecrow said. Sell the wood. There's plenty of very good coal in NS. Why would you want to clog up your boiler and stack w/ gooey creosote when you could burn coal for twice the convenience?
I agree, I'd prefer to burn coal.

Tamecrow
Stove/Furnace Make: Warden King Ltd.
Stove/Furnace Model: Viking Jr. Boiler/Will-Burt 30

Post Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Addicted, I sent you a pm. I'll give you a hand straightening the old boiler up.
Viking Jr. 4 section cast boiler/Will-Burt Model 30, Arco W-19/Iron Fireman, Warm Morning 520. Burning (Cape Breton) Nova Scotia Bituminous Coal.

Berlin
Site Moderator
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Post Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 6:45 pm

If both yourself and the previous owner had significant trouble firing coal, you may want to make sure that the chimney and draft is adequate as well.
Burning western Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY using model 77 stoker furnace. BITUMINOUS equiptment: 2 hand fired stoves of my own design, Many Combustioneer Model 77 stokers, stokermatic furnace, Many Will-Burt stokers, & and Two Iron firemen.

leward
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM 520
Stove/Furnace Model: 1

Post Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 7:29 pm

I had a American Standard Severn till very recently. I burned wood at the beginning and end of every season with no ill effects. I simply brushed the heat exchanger out every Sat. morning. It also had a sidearm coil for domestic. These should be available without major problems.. It simply functions as a heat exchanger. .If you can't find one, simply buy a new plate heat exchanger and plumb it to a top and bottom plug on the right rear of your boiler. Replacement grates are available in several places in PA that I know about.

imaddicted2u

Post Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Berlin wrote:If both yourself and the previous owner had significant trouble firing coal, you may want to make sure that the chimney and draft is adequate as well.
I measured the draft, it is -0.04 to -0.05 at the breach, about the same over the fire.

imaddicted2u

Post Thu. Apr. 04, 2013 10:10 pm

leward wrote:I had a American Standard Severn till very recently. I burned wood at the beginning and end of every season with no ill effects. I simply brushed the heat exchanger out every Sat. morning. It also had a sidearm coil for domestic. These should be available without major problems.. It simply functions as a heat exchanger. .If you can't find one, simply buy a new plate heat exchanger and plumb it to a top and bottom plug on the right rear of your boiler. Replacement grates are available in several places in PA that I know about.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”