Brands of Hand Fired Boilers

If you are in need of a more conventional heating solution that requires no power look no further. Unlike an automated stoker boiler these units do not require power to generate heat. They can be set up wiith pumps like a typical boiler or a gravity fed sytem insuring heat during power failures. Models include many New Yorker coal boilers, EFM WCB-24 and others. Some of these units can also burn wood.
pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Beside Harman SF-260, what other manufacturers make a mid size, hand fired boiler. I need about 100,000 btu's.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 8:49 pm

EFM, WCB-24.

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 9:00 pm

logwood boiler made in Richford, NY. Two sizes, I had the three foot long firebox x 18" wide and a shaker gr8 on the whole thing . I filled in half of the bottom with fire brick in an angle iron cage to reduce the size. The thing burned great but was just to big. I used to place one piece of hardwood in the center an pile coal on both sides , the wood kept air in the middle and I rarely had any trouble. But ......it wasnt a stoker and I could never go back. I think the large unit is around 5k and could easily put out 200k btu. smaller one around 4k and 125k btu. extremely well built.

Waldo
When faced with a seemingly impossible task, my grandfather always said "can't never can, untill try comes along"

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: Coal Contractor's stove, a little Kimmels 'nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Post Wed. Feb. 20, 2013 9:30 pm

My neighbor uses a Tarm, not sure of the model #, nice size though approx. 4 ft. high 2 ft wide and 3 and a half deep it is 30 years old and looks 5!
never yell through a screen...you'll strain your voice.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Thu. Feb. 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”