Need Help Identifying My Boiler

Erik D. Schmid

Post by Erik D. Schmid » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 12:58 pm

12 years ago I purchased a house built in 1906. It originally had coal stoves in various rooms when it was constructed, but at some point these were removed and a coal boiler was installed. This boiler was eventually converted to oil by having a Beckett burner installed. After nearly going broke buying fuel oil I decided to use wood instead. Worked great at first, but that is now getting expensive as well. I want to switch it back to coal. However, I need to know what the make is so that I can find replacement grates for it as the originals are long gone. The only thing that has been changed is the ash door. Since that was the opening where the oil burner was installed, it was discarded. What is in its place is the firebox door. The door now covering the firebox was from an old US Radiator Capitol - Red Top. I'm located in MN, so pretty much anything related to coal burning is confined strictly to steam trains and tractors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

boiler.jpg
.JPG | 211.9KB | boiler.jpg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm no help on identifying your boiler. :(

But you may want to call and talk to these people... http://heatherfurnace.com/index.php?page=grates.html

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 6:42 am

Hard to tell under that insulation but it has the general appearance of an American Radiator Cast iron sectional boiler.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 11:21 am

I'm pretty sure american radiator company boilers have a four leaf clover on the cleanout door.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Grates ???

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Looks like a job for a conversion stoker.

Mike

SCOTTAJ31

Post by SCOTTAJ31 » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 7:34 pm

your boiler looks just like mine minus the two bottom doors which I believe where removed when converted to oil... I noticed you said you burned wood in yours was there anything special you did as this is what im looking at doing but cant seem to get a strait answer from anyone if I can ??

Erik D. Schmid

Post by Erik D. Schmid » Fri. Jan. 04, 2013 11:00 am

Sorry for the delay. For the burning of wood I had to put in a chimney liner to help with the draft as my chimney is 35'. I've since given up on wood and have started burning coal. Much easier, cleaner, and safer. This is what it was designed for, so I figured why not go back to it. :)

Copperpenny
Other Heating: Oil from coal

Post by Copperpenny » Sun. May. 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Hi Erik.............

your furnace looks just like mine only in much better condition. Mine had a plate on it that said: United States Radiator Corporation
THE CAPITOL size 7 A Seriel X - 7603

I really like the color of yours. Do you know that it is covered with asbestos and plaster? I am looking for any info on the furnace. You provided insite info....that it indeed was buring soft bituminus coal at one time ......wish I knew the year.....but now is burning oil and according to a permit stapled to the beam above....this was done in 1945. I am looking for any and all info about Capitol Coal Furnaces to figure out when it was installed in my old house. It has hot water radiators too. I hope you find this info useful.

Copperpenny
Other Heating: Oil from coal

Post by Copperpenny » Sun. May. 30, 2021 8:44 pm

United States Radiator Corporation
THE CAPITOL size 7 A Seriel X - 7603

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”