Hold-Fire (Repeat Cycle) Timer Wiring Question

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Apr. 01, 2012 1:15 pm

lsayre wrote:If there has been an extended period of no fire leading up to this point and the fire is "sleepy" then at this juncture the fire can potentially go out.
OK, I believe I have got it.
I have noticed this also,but I have 80 lbs. of glowing coal in the firebox. When the blower turns on I have noticed the boiler temps hover and lower for awhile,then temps rise. With your fire box size and amount of coal, the blower could actually blow out the fire.

Bob
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite

Post by Bob » Sun. Apr. 01, 2012 8:57 pm

lsayre wrote:
Bob wrote:I agree with Yanche that a cycle timer is not needed with the AHS and hopper feed. AA uses a cycle timer but I believe the reason AA uses one is because it is necessary to keep the coal topped off--not a need to run the combustion blower.

With the factory setup on the AHS and the thermo grate control the grate will cycle even without the combustion blower running if the ash temp drops below the SV less the set differential.
My S130 Coal Gun quite often sits and idles with the thermo grate controller temperature at below the SV. My grate motor only runs when the combustion blower is running.
The sensed temperature must drop below the SV - the differential setting in order for ashing to be initiated --but as wired from the factory the grate will operate without the combustion blower operating. There has been discussion in another thread on puff-backs and I understand that some have rewired the unit so that the grate will not operate unless the combustion blower is operating but unless you have done that the grate should initiate operation if the sensed temp drops to (or below) the SV - differential setting.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Apr. 01, 2012 9:25 pm

The way mine came new from the factory it does not operate the ash grate motor unless the fan is running. I have not altered anything.

Bob
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite

Post by Bob » Mon. Apr. 02, 2012 10:09 am

lsayre wrote:The way mine came new from the factory it does not operate the ash grate motor unless the fan is running. I have not altered anything.
Interesting. I purchased mine in 2006--it has the Fuji controller for the grate and it is wired with the power supply for the grate hot both when the blower is operating and when it is off. This allows the grate to operate independently of the blower. But the only time I have actually seen that happen is at the end of a blower run. It seems it takes the forced draft to lower the temperature sensed by the grate thermocouple to drop sufficiently to actuate the grate.

The most recent schematic I have for newer units is a 2009 manual with the Dwyer controller for the grate and it is shown as being wired the same way--the power supply goes separately to the grate control and to the blower control so that the grate can operate even though the blower is not running and the operating limit is satisfied (open).

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Apr. 02, 2012 11:02 am

I think from reading the various AHS Coal Gun postings the Fuji controller uses a type K thermocouple and the Dwyer uses a type J. While AHS makes good products one thing they are not good at is engineering documentation discipline. When I order replacement grate crank arm bearings they sent me the wrong ones. Even though I gave them the S/N of my boiler they had no clue what was in the shipped product. I had to have a telephone conversation while looking at my failed bearings before they could decide what to sent next. I would have be easier and cheaper to just measure and order from a bearing supply house. I suspect AHS could not tell you how your S/N boiler was wired when it left the factory.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Mine is from 2009, and it is UL listed. Apparently the wiring is a bit different on the UL listed models. Mine does have the Dwyer (LC, Love Controls) unit for the grate temperature control.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Apr. 15, 2012 5:51 pm

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 12:49 pm

For everyones reference, the ACT series of Tork "Repeat Cycle Timers" that has been discussed within this thread and a few others has been discontinued. That is why I went with the Tork EJWT instead of the ACT120M.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”