Warnock Hersey / Viking Junior

Wade

Post by Wade » Mon. Sep. 26, 2011 11:03 pm

I am looking for information on my viking Junior. It is a 1982 so its an older one for sure. I am trying to put it in my garage and run underground lines to my house. The supply and return is currently and 1 1/2 inches. I would like to drop this down to 1 inch or 3/4 but my run to the house is about 100 feet. I am not sure what this stove puts out for BTU or how big an area it will heat. I am planning to burn wood and not coal because I am in a residential area. Any info on this stove would be great thanks in advance.

Wade

Attachments

viking3.jpeg
.JPEG | 9.3KB | viking3.jpeg
viking 1.jpeg
.JPEG | 9.9KB | viking 1.jpeg
viking2.jpeg
.JPEG | 9KB | viking2.jpeg
viking5.jpeg
.JPEG | 9KB | viking5.jpeg

jim d

Post by jim d » Mon. Sep. 26, 2011 11:24 pm

wade ; warnock hersey is the testing org. that tested that boiler for ul clearences ect. and you say you would be better off w/ wood because it in a res. area I woold think you would be better off w' coal no smoke or smell the neighbors won't know any thing unless you tell them or they see you carrying in bags w/ st. nick on them

Badog

Post by Badog » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 11:51 am

I have to go with Jim D about using coal. I and my neighbor to the west burn coal and when you stand outside my house or his all you smell is the wood from my other neighbor to the north. The prevailing wind here is normally from the west.I even smell his wood stove inside my house once and a while. Having burned both coal is much cleaner and has much less smell than wood.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey Wade! I hope you don't mind the smell of creasote to much. The thing about wood boilers is that the interior surfaces don't get hotter than the water that's cooling them off. It is sort of like starting up a cold wood stove. untill you get the surfaces hot or the chimney hot, they make alot of creasote. I know with mine, it was a disagreeable smell. :sick: Nice boiler by the way. I bet it would get a 24-36 hr burn with a load of coal :)

Kenbod

Post by Kenbod » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 11:11 pm

I have a 1982 vintage boiler (van Wert) of similar size which also burns wood or coal. But know this: they are really only optimized for one or the other, never both. Mine is definitely designed for coal and I bet yours is too. (Moreover, if it was originally designed for wood then you can be pretty sure it sucks compared to anything being built today.) 1982 was long before the EPA phase II improvements and 'gasification' technology. Burn wood and all you neighbors will know: they'll see it and smell it.

If it can burn coal, then that is the way to go. Then, only a few close neighbors will know. Probably because of your bragging...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”