Fields Type 'M' Barometric Damper Mounting Question

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Aug. 06, 2011 5:14 pm

My 6" Fields Type M fits nicely into a standard 6" TEE, but I don't see any ready made mounting holes with which to secure (screw) it into the TEE, and the outer lip that presses over the face of the TEE is only about 1/4" deep. For those who have used Type 'M''s with a standard "TEE (instead of by using the "fab a tee into a straight pipe" components that also accompany the unit), how did you fasten yours into place?

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Sat. Aug. 06, 2011 9:28 pm

A band clamp and 2 short stainless screws . I had my first KA BLUE 'EE :blowup: :hangover: :cry2: with an outfire this summer while I was present, nothing came apart , but it tried to blow off the flapper, and bent the closed stop tang. When will you be ready to fire the baby up ??? How much do you have installed ???

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Aug. 07, 2011 7:26 am

My wishful target for first fire is October 1st. I'm working on the boiler project solo and only (at best) a few hours every weekend. I generally get exhausted after only a few hours of physical exertion due to my rare form of bone marrow cancer.

I only need to install a "slip pipe" section and secure the baro damper to complete the stove pipe install. Then I need to get my manometer installed and the stove pipe project will be complete. Any ideas as to how I should secure the copper tubing for the mano into the stove pipe? I assume it goes somewhere on the boiler side of the baro damper. Is that correct?

I've framed in the expanded boiler room walls, and my next project is to install the drywall, tape, plaster, sand, and get it painted up. I need to complete this as my supply and return manifolds are to be placed upon these walls.

I have the zone valve control module in place and I have power to it. This unit will also control the circulator.

I still need to install all of the plumbing and bring power to the boiler. Power to the coal boiler will come off of the back-up resistance boiler, just as it did for the old oil boiler.

I'll admit that I'm well behind where I would really like to be right now. If time gets short I'll contract any balance of the plumbing, but my finances don't really allow for that so I'd rather do it myself.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Aug. 07, 2011 8:20 am

lsayre wrote:
I'll admit that I'm well behind where I would really like to be right now. If time gets short I'll contract any balance of the plumbing, but my finances don't really allow for that so I'd rather do it myself.
It's that the way it always is? Whenever I start a new project I just keep telling myself "I'll get it done the same way I'd eat an elephant - one bite at a time." Take care, Lisa

PS - I just drilled three holes and used screws to hold the mano in place. The stove pipe is really soft and easy to work with.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Sun. Aug. 07, 2011 6:49 pm

lsayre wrote: Any ideas as to how I should secure the copper tubing for the mano into the stove pipe? I assume it goes somewhere on the boiler side of the baro damper. Is that correct?
Larry, you are correct with regard to the positioning of the tubing for your manometer... Between the boiler and the baro it is!!! I do think that there is some merit in taking your reading from a pipe position that allows the flue gasses to "straighten out" so to speak, in other words not right before or after an elbow or other flow changing area of the pipe run... I will post here soon with pictures and details on the method that I use to attach the tubing to stovepipe, camera battery is dead, gonna charge it up then I'll post it here...

Murdoc

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Mon. Aug. 08, 2011 8:42 am

lsayre wrote:Whenever I start a new project I just keep telling myself "I'll get it done the same way I'd eat an elephant - one bite at a time." Take care, Lisa
That's not a bad idea, but they better be really BIG bites :pepsi:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Aug. 08, 2011 9:07 am

I just have my baro mounted in a regular "tee" with a couple self tapping screws.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Aug. 08, 2011 9:18 am

Same here.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Aug. 08, 2011 9:36 am

That's not a bad idea, but they better be really BIG bites
Of course practically, but it ruins the pyschology of that very excellent advice. Many times I have bitten off more than I could chew and somebody gave me that advice many years ago and it had kept me going. Thinking of emptying the Atlantic Ocean with a teaspoon you just keep telling yourself the Lisa quote. Why? Well will you ever succeed? Of course not, but you have a goal in life and that is the secret of life. Just try and limit your goals a little from my example and make things reasonably attainable but truly daunting. Imagine the sense of achievement when you light up the fire.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”