Help Identifying Model Number for an Old Crane Coal Boiler

aaronlr

Post by aaronlr » Tue. Jun. 07, 2011 2:13 pm

My parents have an old Crane coal boiler they would like to get up and running as a backup to a newer gas boiler they installed about 5 years ago. The only identifying markings my father has found on the boiler are the CAT # 110D; Series # B-A; and a part # SH105; however, I'm told I have to have a model number to identify the boiler before they can match up parts. Question: Does anyone know where on the boiler would the model number be located; and, can the the CAT # be used to reference the model #?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Welcome my friend, be patient, I'm sure somebody knows the info you're looking for. It's a slow time of the year for coal burners other then shutting down & cleaning up for next season. Again, welcome-----where are you from? Might be someone close enough to come & have a look see ;)

GRATE GUY

Post by GRATE GUY » Tue. Jun. 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Crane boilers were made by Crane and in the later years Crane was the same as National/ U. S. Radiator with a foundry in Johnstown Pa. The most common Crane original boiler would probably be the Crane 20. The most popular later Crane would be the Crane 21 series, in residential sizes. A casting number from a door hinge or grate would help greatly to identify it, or better yet what about a picture? What parts are you looking for? Some parts for both are still available.

aaronlr

Post by aaronlr » Wed. Jun. 08, 2011 1:31 pm

I currently live in GA but my parents live in Southern WV. Thanks for the reply. Some added info on the boiler: Contacted a true value store in PA and was told the boiler can be identified by the casting numbers on the various parts; however, after getting the numbers off the back of the door (1034) and another part had (1088) on it, the sales rep said those numbers didn't mean anything to him. Additionally, he said the grates should have casting numbers on them as well but these don't have any numbers at all. He related this might be an original Crane boiler which, if so, he wouldn't have any parts for it. Going to have my sister take some pictures of the boiler so I can post them in hopes someone will be able to identify it.

aaronlr

Post by aaronlr » Wed. Jun. 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Looking for the grates and what I'm told is the choke collar (the part that connects the boiler to the stove pipe for the exhaust). Also had my father look at the door and after taking off the cover plate on the back of the door it had the number (1034). However, didn't have him look at the door hinges, I'll let him know to look there next. Still working on getting some picture. Again thanks for the help.

aaronlr

Post by aaronlr » Sat. Jun. 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Here are a few pictures of the Crane Boiler I have been refering. After seeing the pics myself, I am wondering if it is even worth fixing or scraping and finding a used one in better shape.
Choke Collar 2.jpg
.JPG | 86.5KB | Choke Collar 2.jpg
Crane Boiler 2.jpg
.JPG | 84KB | Crane Boiler 2.jpg
Crane Boiler 4.jpg
.JPG | 100.2KB | Crane Boiler 4.jpg
ID Plate.jpg
.JPG | 100.1KB | ID Plate.jpg

aaronlr

Post by aaronlr » Sat. Jun. 11, 2011 8:26 pm

More pics.
Choke Collar.jpg
.JPG | 93.2KB | Choke Collar.jpg
DSC00399.jpg
.JPG | 73.9KB | DSC00399.jpg
DSC00404.jpg
.JPG | 102.1KB | DSC00404.jpg
ID Plate.jpg
.JPG | 100.1KB | ID Plate.jpg
Misc # and Markings 2.jpg
.JPG | 96KB | Misc # and Markings 2.jpg
Misc # and Markings 3.jpg
.JPG | 85.2KB | Misc # and Markings 3.jpg
Misc # and Markings 5.jpg
.JPG | 62.6KB | Misc # and Markings 5.jpg
Misc # and Markings 6.jpg
.JPG | 81.8KB | Misc # and Markings 6.jpg
Misc # and Markings.jpg
.JPG | 92.1KB | Misc # and Markings.jpg

GRATE GUY

Post by GRATE GUY » Mon. Jun. 20, 2011 6:35 pm

The boiler you have is I believe a Crane 20, grates are still avaiable. As far as the smoke hood I would take it to a local welding shop and have them fabricate one. If it still holds water it is worth repairing. You wont find anything comparable for the price of grates and repairs.

ldmill
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor with a Motor Stokor
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous Stoker / 1-1/2" X 1/4"
Other Heating: Geothermal Heat Pump

Post by ldmill » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 2:40 am

Just wondering if you got the boiler working.
Larry

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”