Logwood Showing Its Age!!

canadianexpat

Post by canadianexpat » Wed. Feb. 16, 2011 3:59 pm

my trusty logwood, ycof22 is showing its age, have weilded up a crack in the heat exchanger this winter once! looking now to replace it come spring, also the Riello oil burner is going to be installed on the new unit wonder if there is any better multifuel furnaces out there for forced air not a boiler. any sugesstions! bet another logwood or try a newer style furnace. this years oil price is high & forcasts for next year higher

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Welcome to the FORUM my friend--I'm just an old handfired guy--but, be patient, the furnace guys will be all over your questions with a multitude of suggestions I'll bet :) Where are you from--there's space in the avatar for that ;)

canadianexpat

Post by canadianexpat » Fri. Feb. 18, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm up in mid new york state, along the erie canal, about 30 miles east on Utica, thought their would be more replies on this topic....

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Most furnaces that are made to burn wood and coal don't burn either one very well, it is always a compromise. Do you still intend to burn wood in the furnace? If not, and you are ready to be 100% coal, you have many more options. Do you still want something hand-fired or are you ready to be a "stoker guy"?

-Rob

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Feb. 18, 2011 7:41 pm

canadianexpat wrote:thought there would be more replies on this topic....
Well, you said "logWOOD" so most of us made the sign of the cross and hung garlic around our necks. :)
Personally I don't know about dual-fuel non-boiler units, but I believe there are members here that have installed coal furnaces in series with oil furnaces; as well as installing coal boilers with a heat exchanger in the oil furnace plenum. Do some searches (search box at upper right) and I expect some others will chime in with advice as well.

canadianexpat

Post by canadianexpat » Fri. Feb. 18, 2011 8:13 pm

was the logwood really a loser in selection in a warm air furnace!?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 7:06 am

canadianexpat wrote:was the logwood really a loser in selection in a warm air furnace!?
No idea. What you are not getting is that you've posted a question in a COAL forum apparently about a device that burns WOOD. Wood could be coal if you buried it and waited about 300 million years and put it under tremendous pressure. I don't know what a logwood boiler is but it sure sounds like a wood burner. Try posting your question in the wood burning section. A picture or two wouldn't hurt either.

canadianexpat

Post by canadianexpat » Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 8:46 am

it has the ability to burn wood, coal, & has an oil burner all in one chamber & one exhaust pipe, have fired it on all, the oil gun is not very effecient & burning coal i'd stoke it & be able to keep a fire in it for a whole day, haul cinders & restoke without a problem. looking for advise on somthing better are their any others out there now that are better?

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 11:52 am

Does Buderas have this multi-fuel ability ? They are reported to be high efficiency.

canadianexpat

Post by canadianexpat » Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 4:43 pm

never heard of that can you describe ?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”