DS Machine Coal Boiler Any Feedback?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 12, 2011 4:24 pm

The S260 is a beast. Forum member "watkinsdr" has one making LOTS of hot water and when I talked to him in late August he had a 22x44' in-ground pool at 87 degrees.

creosole

Post by creosole » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 10:22 pm

i have been running d.s. machine #4 boiler for 5 years now no problem with unit super heavy duty ,problems arise when units are not plumbed correctly or set up right after install.trial and error once you have it ds works great.i video taped mine in action so others can see it ,when I installed mine there was no info on installation just people telling everyone how great units where.when you would ask hey could I see pictures you never get reply.so if anyone is interested check out my videos I was first ond to put on you tube it can be found on you tube type in bodyshop18336 to see please comment good or bad I don't care you can always learn something new

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jul. 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Welcome to the FORUM my friend--thanx for that info:)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 5:48 pm

creosole wrote:i have been running d.s. machine #4 boiler for 5 years now no problem with unit super heavy duty ,problems arise when units are not plumbed correctly or set up right after install.trial and error once you have it ds works great.i video taped mine in action so others can see it ,when I installed mine there was no info on installation just people telling everyone how great units where.when you would ask hey could I see pictures you never get reply.so if anyone is interested check out my videos I was first ond to put on you tube it can be found on you tube type in bodyshop18336 to see please comment good or bad I don't care you can always learn something new
The videos I watched all had it being fired with wood. Have you ever burned anthracite coal in it?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Looks like an old fashioned dirty smudge pot wood burner to me.

Would have to see fire pot and grates to judge coal burning.

creosole

Post by creosole » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 9:24 pm

wood has moisture in it no matter how long it drys,people that say oh my wood burner has electric driven turbine that spins at 10000rpm then injects air into primary chamber then secondary chamber before going out chimney.ok how much electric does it use to do all this,plus what happens when bearing for these high speed latest technology fails your on your hands and knees with a flash light like wow to many moving parts.other problem with these new stovers is to much electronic boards and sensors electronics don't like heat and water condensation and where are they on non d.s. machine stoves.plus with d.s you can burn coal and see nothing coming out chimney.everyones on this kick go green no smoke save earth bla bla bla .i had a 1992 geo three cyl car 50 mpg new toy elec car prius 40mpg with ton electric gen batteries ,that spewed more chemicals and smoke being built over in japan than basic 92 geo .new wood stoves are same deal lot smoke up peoples you no what.d.s.machines made in usa not assembled in usa with mexican parts. before buying d.s. machine I went on internet to see what was out there was not to impressed with to much maybe harman,so I asked plumbing guys hey who makes good boiler I heard d.s. called dist said give me like three people that bought from you called them no complaints,so I bought one.if they where junk than would I still be cutting wood to use every year,ask people with outdoor wood boilers how many cords wood do you use ,how much was unit installed how well insulated are they,take ride to distributor see how many are back getting rebuilt .when all the fancy eye wash is off boiler and you can see whats underneath far from impressive.you can build shed put d.s. in shed make bigger keep junk in summer for half what it cost compared to competition .how come comments are disabled on you tube of other boilers makers .type in on internet complaints from buyers of what ever stove you plan on buying and see for yourself.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jul. 11, 2013 10:42 pm

I agree with you there are bad designs in boilers. There are however some very good modern wood stoves that burn pretty clean with no moving parts or electricity. There were also some good ones hundreds of years ago. I suspect you are losing close to a third of your heat up the chimney in the form of smoke.

Why not just burn coal in your boiler?

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Fri. Feb. 19, 2016 8:45 pm

I know my DS 1100 boiler works great. If I have questions I call the Amish Company that makes them. Great people, great boiler.
IMG_20151017_133820427_zpsljjoa1ig.jpg
.JPG | 74.1KB | IMG_20151017_133820427_zpsljjoa1ig.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 10, 2016 7:45 am

The member that started this thread did end up getting a DS Machine boiler...and later removed it due to performance problems.

New Boiler Temps

He ended up replacing it with an AHS 260 stoker boiler.

jremington
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: DS Machines. Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machines Aqua Gem
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Anthra Glo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Anthramax Comfort Max
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Rice and Stove
Other Heating: Gas and pellet stoves

Post by jremington » Mon. Aug. 28, 2017 8:29 pm

I saw this old post and had to reply. The new Aqua Gem boilers are UL listed. We have installed a dozen in the last two years and have had zero complaints. The key is to make sure you get the proper size for your application. The Sampson regulator also has to be installed properly.

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Fri. Sep. 01, 2017 8:29 am

Love ours, Can't wait till it gets cold lol.

packard bill
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machine and homebuilt
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco-Belge
Coal Size/Type: Nut,pea

Post by packard bill » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Hand fired boilers are ideal for gravity systems. They can be used with some success with 3 speed pump, like the B and Gs, on low speed.
If a single speed pump is used, like a Taco 007, you need to have a return loop from water outlet back to water inlet. Hand fired coal boilers were installed in gravity systems years ago....Stokers were the advent of FORCED hot water systems. Why? Because the water in the boiler did not have enough time to absorb enough BTU's before being pumped out into the system where the heat exchangers (radiators and piping) pulled more btu's out of the water than the water absorbed in the boiler. The stoker provided more fuel and forced combustion air
into the firebox to get to high fire quickly. When heating a slab you won't get gravity flow unless the boiler is below the floor. The concrete acts as a "heatsink" and will certainly pullout more btu's from the water than the water will have time to absorb in the boiler. At the very least
you will need a hand fired boiler with forced draft, better if a stoker.......Or a very large boiler (large water jacket and large firebox i.e. grate area) which would cost more to operate than it's worth.

jremington
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: DS Machines. Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machines Aqua Gem
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Anthra Glo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Anthramax Comfort Max
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Rice and Stove
Other Heating: Gas and pellet stoves

Post by jremington » Sat. Dec. 23, 2017 10:19 pm

What do you mean by "the concrete acts as a heat sink?"

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Dec. 24, 2017 9:17 am

jR think of it as a GIANT radiator with direct contact "input" heat source to mass transfer. it also has both direct and indirect heat transfer "output" to objects and air.

to function well there will need to be a pretty good flow but lower volume of constant moderately heated supply ( pump )or, a slower flow but greater volume of significantly hotter supply ( gravity )

the trade offs are electricity, materials and time and the limits of each one.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Mon. Dec. 25, 2017 9:27 am

I have a hand fed boiler in my house. My system uses pumps to get the hot water where it needs to be. I also have 2 hydro air systems which can quickly put a lot of load on the boiler. My boiler is natural draft. My boiler may at times be slower to respond to a call for heat than a stoker, but it always get the job done. A hand fed needs to be tended more frequently, but is less money upfront.

David

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”