My Self Built Coal Boiler Now With Pics

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 5:34 am

i thought it is time I added an update.....the burner is finished and has been run for two weeks....then my next door neighbor complained that he could smell the smoke from it when he was standing outside on the new deck he had just had built...GET THIS!!!...while he was having a cigarette :? ....i was informed that if it was still going when he next went out onto the deck for a smoke he would call the council and report me as a 'neighbourhood annoyance'....a stunt that I have since learned that he has used on two other people using who where using fully legal wood burners in the vicinity.

After curbing my instinct to alter his dental work(with some difficulty I might add) I realised that it wasn't worth the hassle that would be involved with dealing with the council/ordernance inspectors.(all solid fuel burners here have to made by an approved and registered company to an approved emissions standard...and my'n had none of that obviously)

it burned clean...just a faint trace of smoke as it ramped up after the thermostat inside the house had been adjusted higher.
if you left it to its own devices it you wouldn't know it was there if you where looking for smoke.

after that not so little setback I looked at my options....and built an automated horizontal babington type waste engine oil burner/boiler...SUCK ON THAT you pedantic fecal head!!!....i've just finished installing it...it works like clockwork, no smoke,no smell of burning coal and I can even get fuel for free...it was all going so well until I blew up the circulation pump this evening....hopefully I can get another one tomorrow.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 5:46 am

Sorry to hear you have neighbor problems. I have a cemetery across the street from my house...no complaints yet!

Do you have any pictures of your finished coal boiler or the waste oil burner?

unhippy

Post by unhippy » Thu. Apr. 21, 2011 6:37 am

i have pics of my new oil burner on my camera...which I keep forgetting to bring home from work....seeing as its an (waste)oil boiler I will put up pics in a new thread in the 'wood,gas,oil,geothermal and other heating units'....and and link to it from here (if I can figger out how to do that lol)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Apr. 21, 2011 8:07 am

You can do it my friend ;) perseverance!!

unhippy

Post by unhippy » Thu. Apr. 28, 2011 1:45 am

my new thread about my babington burner with a link to a video I put up on youtube

Automated Homemade Babington Waste Oil Boiler Video

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”