New Yorker WC-130 Questions

Ronnie P

Post by Ronnie P » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 7:24 am

Have some questions for anyone who has a New Yorker WC-130 Wood/Coal Boiler. I had one installed last year....am currently burning wood (& oil) only. Trying to play around with the settings to conserve the most oil and was curious what vent "run control" and circulator "high limit" settings most people are using on both the wood/coal boiler in relation to the oil boiler...i.e. how far apart do you typically keep temperature settings on the oil and wood/coal boiler settings? We have about 50% cast iron and 50% copper fin radiators throughout our house if that matters.

Also was thinking about burning coal overnight because I only get about 6 hours of heat from the boiler when burning wood. Does burning coal greatly increase the duration of heat generation? Any tips on burning coal for someone who never has before???

Thanks.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 8:00 am

Ronnie, I have a wood/coal boiler in my home as well. It is not a New Yorker, but it is similar. I burn coal 99% of the time, and when I do I just switch off the oil burner to prevent "nuisance firing". The circulator on my hand-fed boiler starts at 160 degrees, and the dump zone is set at 210.

What kind of draft control does your New Yorker have? A blower? Metal flap with a chain hooked to it?

I can easily achieve 12 hour burn times with coal in this weather, longer in the fall and spring. If you read through the hand-fed section on this forum you will find lots of good tips for starting a coal fire. The short version is to start a wood fire and burn it until you have it really going good. Add about 1" of coal over the wood fire and let it catch, then add another layer...once you have a couple inches of burning coal go ahead and pile it on. It is important to have the coal bed about 8" deep for it to burn properly, and the entire grate must be covered...otherwise the air will bypass the coal bed. If your boiler has any dampers to allow air over the fire, close them...coal needs the air to come up through the grates. When it is time to reload the boiler, shake the grates until you see some embers drop into the ash pan, then add the coal.

-Rob

Ronnie P

Post by Ronnie P » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 8:49 am

The boiler has a blower with a hand positioned metal flap to control the amount of intake.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”