Chappee Coal Boiler

kenny007

Post by kenny007 » Thu. Sep. 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Hello All,
Just picked up a used chappee boiler 80,000 btu, Just cleaned her and getting her ready for the season,
Just installed into my existing oil fired Biasi Boiler... Anyone using one of these?? The cloarstat seems to be sticking
looking into a new one.. I will be burning anthrcite coal in it, probally nut coal, Any advise??

Thanks All

Ken

alan reid

Post by alan reid » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Holy Mackeral has this site given me the run around to reply to you. I've had a chappee 210 for 28 years so I know a little about them. But I don't know where to go to get parts. However your calorastat sticking may be dirt or overheating, if it's dirt take it apart and clean it, but if it has been overheated, chuck it and find a new one. The way the spring body goes down over the brass well doesn't always fit as snug as it should and tends to work loose over time. That has happened to me and I took it apart and reseated it and tightened the set screw more. That worked well for years until I overheated the whole thing through a power failure and stupidity. I got a Samson off an HS Tarn boiler from a heating mechanic that works super. They also make electric operated ones, all though I never saw the benefit of that.
Good Luck,
Alan

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sat. Oct. 02, 2010 9:11 am

I bought one two years ago, never had the chance to hook it up before finding my AA130. Sold it to my father in law at cost after painting the tinwork and spending days cleaning the insides. The PO had burnt wood instead of coal. What a mess.

Anyway, he's just beside himself with how that boiler takes the place of his oil fired all winter long. He was using a Riteway stove and that would heat you out but the boiler works great and keeps a nice even, comfortable temp.

As far as I know he uses one match, shakes and stokes in the AM and PM. I may still have the manual on .pdf if you don't have it.

kenny007

Post by kenny007 » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Hello,
can I take the clorstat apart without draining the boiler??
Thanks Ken

kenny007

Post by kenny007 » Sat. Oct. 16, 2010 7:57 am

Hello,
Fired the Chappee last night, The heat this boiler puts out is amazing, Boiler temp stays @ 190 degrees and stack temp is @ 150 degrees, nice even heat thru the baseboards.. So much diffrent than the stove, Very happy !!!!! and warm !!

Ken

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sat. Oct. 16, 2010 9:07 am

That's almost the same sentiments my father in law has with his baby.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”